Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Question re S&L glider pilot badge

Article about: Can it be stated with certainty that S&L actually produced a glider pilot badge during the war years? If so,can it be distinguished from post war production? Thanks for looking. Steve

?

Default Question re S&L glider pilot badge

Can it be stated with certainty that S&L actually produced a glider pilot badge during the war years? If so,can it be distinguished from post war production?
    Thanks for looking.
    Steve

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Question re S&L glider pilot badge
    P
    Many

Quote by Snoman View Post
    Can it be stated with certainty that S&L actually produced a glider pilot badge during the war years? If so,can it be distinguished from post war production?
    Thanks for looking.
    Steve
    Hi Steve,

I believe there is no certainty or proof positive that S&L produced a Glider Pilots Badge (Segelfliegerabzeichen) during the war period. Personally I would have to go on the hardware, whether it is war time compatible or post war, but even this may not give the answer. We know that Juncker shared designs/parts with S&L throughout the war, but as far as I know the only "attributed" S&L GP badges that are known seem to have come from post war "Souvenir boards" (often referred to wrongly IMO as salesman sample boards).

It is possible I guess that S&L produced these badges in the wartime period, but there is no actual proof (yet at least), documented or otherwise. It's also possible that they produced them post war from existing left over parts from the war time production, or equally perhaps from parts supplied by Juncker, or even the original dies, but again, there's no proof to be able to really know.

Therefore I would not consider purchasing a GP badge attributed to Steinhauer & Luck, but would feel happier should I wish to by going for one by known war time makers like Assmann & Sohn, BSW or Juncker. That's just a very basic opinion on a very complex subject that little is really known about!

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Thanks Ned
    This is the kind of information I was looking for.
    I have,I think,somewhat of a similar issue with my Souval APB.
    Best regards
    Steve