Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Questionable Ostmedaille

Article about: I recently acquired this Ostmedaille, marked 60 (?) on the ring. I think it's a 60, but it's hard to read. It looks like it was painted silver around the rim and on the helmet. I have compar

Default Questionable Ostmedaille

I recently acquired this Ostmedaille, marked 60 (?) on the ring. I think it's a 60, but it's hard to read. It looks like it was painted silver around the rim and on the helmet. I have compared it to some others and it just doesn't seem to have the detail I expect.

The weight (20g), width (36.31mm) and height (from top of suspension fastener to bottom - 44.43mm) are relatively close to others.

It seems that the tombak medals are around 20-21g and the zinc medals around 18-19g. Diameters 35.97mm to 36.42mm. Heights 44.19 to 45.23mm. (I measured 5 others I have).

So I'm still unsure about it. Might just be that maker. Any thoughts are welcome.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Questionable Ostmedaille   Questionable Ostmedaille  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Questionable Ostmedaille
    P
    Many

Default Re: Questionable Ostmedaille

Hi Roger,

Your medal is a good original by Katz & Deyhle, Pforzheim, in my opinion.

Also, as far as I know, these weren't made in tombak, but zinc and buntmetall instead. Yours looks to me like a buntmetall example.

Thank you for clarifying this for me. My bad on the tombak, I appreciate the correction. Still learning

?

An original medal by Katz & Deyhle as pointed out by Mo. Regarding the silver rim, I think it has been repainted, there is overspill in a couple of areas. Should the head and end of the grenade also be painted silver? I thought these areas were supposed to be the same darker grey as the centre part?

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Adrian, after looking at the ones I have I can see you are correct. The grenade is the same darker color as the center of the medal. This one looks as though someone has put some hobby silver paint on it. There was a little that appeared to be accidentally brushed in the center of the obverse which easily rubbed off. That is what had me thinking it might be a repro. But what it appears to be is an original that someone has gone and messed with.
    Thanks for taking the time to look at it.

I wonder Why...I know some people like the Look of the silver edge medals better, but it doesn't really affect the prices any. William
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

What a shame, however still a nice medal Roger

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

KSH
    ?

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    Hi Roger,

Your medal is a good original by Katz & Deyhle, Pforzheim, in my opinion.

Also, as far as I know, these weren't made in tombak, but zinc and buntmetall instead. Yours looks to me like a buntmetall example.
    There seems to be some confusion here regarding the German term Buntmetall - tombak IS Buntmetall! So is brass and bronze etc. To make it even more complicated for us; zinc is also counted as a Buntmetall! The term refers to non-ferrous metals and alloys of such metals that do not contain iron to simplify it a bit.

So if we were going to be very pedantic we would have to refer to badges made of pure zinc (Feinzink) as Buntmetall badges also - but that would become very confusing I agree

Regards,

Kenneth
    Last edited by KSH; 07-24-2021 at 03:52 PM.

Kenneth is correct.

In collectors terms tombak and buntmetall are one and the same.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thanks gents, I just learned something!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast