Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Request for advice for new collection - Where do I start?

Article about: Hello there, In my opinion and within your budget you should start getting a well-rounded medal grouping together. This would be general awards of the Wehrmacht, i.e. Iron Cross 2nd class, W

?

Default Request for advice for new collection - Where do I start?

Hi guys,

I apologise in advance if this is the wrong forum!

I've built up a small collection of soviet medals and awards worth around the $300 - $350 mark. I am now interested in buying some third reich medals or awards, but I'm really not sure where to start.

I was wondering if someone could please give some advice on a representative collection of medals or awards (preferably with documentation).

I'd probably want to spend no more than $200 USD on a single item, or do I need to have a much larger budget?

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Request for advice for new collection - Where do I start?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Request for advice for new collection - Where do I start?

A good start in my opinion would be a second class iron cross, wound badge, and an Eastern Front medal. Without documentation, you could possibly get a nice example of each for around $200. I don't have any award documents with any of my medals, so I can't comment on how much it would add to the cost.

John

?

You made the right start by asking the question. The choice of awards is quite vast and it will eventually come down to your individual preferences.
    Take a look through the forum and read the threads, look at the choice of awards and pick the ones you like the most. It's your collection, why not collect the awards that please you the most?
    For your budget of $200 per item you should be able to accumulate a very respectable range of decorations.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

As Adrian said, for $200 and under, there will still be a fairly large range of badges and insignia that would be available. I don't know about the Documentation that you are hoping for,though. Generally, award documents are few and far between and can in many cases cost more than the badge itself. (That, and the sad fact that they make so many fake papers nowadays,it's tricky!)
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Cool guys thanks for your answers, it helps a great deal.

I guess documentation is difficult to come buy for a defeated country, unlike that of the soviets.

Where might I look for reputable dealers? Happy for PM's if that's easier.

Cheers

?

What sort of documentation are you looking for? I would say award certificates are quite common for the standard decorations.
    Soldbuch and Wehrpass are also easy to find as are photos.

I'll PM you a list of my recommended dealers shortly.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Good advice from the guys! Browse the forums, read up on the subject and then follow your heart and buy what it says

Happy hunting

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Thanks for the help guys!

Decided to start with an Ost front medal in packet, and a smattering of reichsmarks and other misc letters.

?

The West Wall medal is also still around in abundance and in good quality. Not a bad lookiing medal, if I do say so myself. I have come across many still in the packet.

?

Thanks Srdj, I hadn't seen that one before. I've tracked a few down and come up with the following:

West Wall medal and ribbon in packet (can't tell if bronze or zinc) $55 AUD
    Eastern Front medal and ribbon in packet - $120 AUD

I get the feeling the EF medal is overpriced, but the advantage is it's closeness for delivery. At the moment I have an average wait of 2 weeks for items to come internationally and then clear customs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast