Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Salesman display board...thoughts/opinions?

Article about: I posted a thread earlier but had the wrong title info...tried to edit but it didn't change the title...sorry for the dub post... Anyways...I need help as with this salesman display board. A

?

Default Salesman display board...thoughts/opinions?

I posted a thread earlier but had the wrong title info...tried to edit but it didn't change the title...sorry for the dub post...

Anyways...I need help as with this salesman display board. Are these actual badges/medals or are they miniature examples? Also are they original?

Thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Salesman display board...thoughts/opinions?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Salesman display board...thoughts/opinions?
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Salesman display board...thoughts/opinions?

can you give some indication of scale, ive never seen a salesmans board before, but that doesnt mean they didnt exist, if real and actual size then they are worth a fair bit, even if miniature but real , again worth money and i would think somewhat rare

We would need to see good close-up shots of the front and back of each medal to tell you exactly what they are.

?

I will ask for more pictures...not sure if he is willing to untie or remove every badge on the board for reversals, but I will try....

?

If this person is trying to sell them as originals , he should have no objections to a close examination, if hes not willing to help authenticate, walk away

If genuine one would expect that all the medals be of the same maker. Alot of these salesmans cases were extremely well made with tight fitting recesses in a padded velvet type material for each medal to fit snugly. I have seen one on similar grey card before, it was a late war version and was made cheaply due to material restrictions at that time.

But some of the awards were also made during this time and they were hollow pressed metal more common during the later war than the solid cast or pressed ones ones from the early war. So this is something to look for as well on this item.

There is a known set of fakes that does occaisionally pop up for sale in groups like these that were produced in the 1960's, i believe they were copied from a company called Meybauch or something similar, i can't remember now. Also i've heard of fake examples of Zimmermann medal groups like this doing the rounds.

What is critical here is that the vendor allows you to see quality up close photo's front and back of each award. If he does not, walk away. There is potentially a lot of moneys worth on that card, so all these things need bearing in mind. Remember, the salesman only always worked for one firm, so they should ALL be original to that firm. Mixed makers = made up, some real, some fake = made up and partially worthless as a set, either way you shouldn't bother in my opinion unless they're going for a song.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Just found this pic on t'internet. It's from Summer Vacation Militaria, appears he bought them like this off a vet and has broken the sets up to sell individually. Needs as must i guess.

Regards, Ned.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Salesman display board...thoughts/opinions?  
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

These salemans boards are known and do appear from time to time. The awards are full size except for the mini Mutterkreuz at bottom left. They aren't always salesmans boards. It has been known for sets like this to have been put together after the war, using leftover wartime awards, for sale to souvenir hungry GI's. I suspect the board above may fall into this category due to the randomness of the awards on display.
    The photos Ned has posted show what, in my opinion, are salesmans boards to the left in the velvet lined cases and the full range of awards offered by a particular company and a 'GI' board to the right on the grey card.
    If this is a genuine board it is unlikely the seller will destroy the bindings holding the awards to the board after 70 odd years together. In this instance it's not because he is hiding anything, more to do with preserving history.
    I can't see too much wrong with the awards but obviously better shots will help enormously.
    Here is a thread I posted last year with a link to a salesmans case.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Thanks for the info on the G.I. souvenir boards Ade, i never thought of that and it now seems an obvious reason for the poor quality of the mounting and randomness of the awards. Thanks for that mate.

Regards, Ned.

?

Here are some reverse pics.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Salesman display board...thoughts/opinions?   Salesman display board...thoughts/opinions?  

Salesman display board...thoughts/opinions?   Salesman display board...thoughts/opinions?