Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Scharschutzen aubzeichen

Article about: I know these awards are highly controversial because of the lack of period photos and veteran acquired examples, but I would like opinions on this piece. I realize there is no definitive ans

Default Scharschutzen aubzeichen

I know these awards are highly controversial because of the lack of period photos and veteran acquired examples, but I would like opinions on this piece. I realize there is no definitive answer for these awards but I am still curious to see if this is a solid fake or if it stands a chance. Thanks.

Scharschutzen aubzeichenScharschutzen aubzeichen

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Scharschutzen aubzeichen
    P
    Many

?

Thumbs down

While I don't question that these actually existed, I don't like this one and I can not say exactly why not! Maby because it is so bright & shiney new? So, personally, I would not buy it except as a repro (NOT a fake!) for $5.
    Sarge

Thanks Sarge, it does appear rather well kept. I wish there was more data and period photos of these awards.

It's rather well made, but one thing that immediately catches my eye as wrong is the green background/base material. This should be grey.

By the way, it's "Scharfschützenabzeichen", not "Scharschutzen aubzeichen".

CBH
    ?

It does have the chain stitching on the feathers , but I've never seen a real one in person .

?

Quote by CBH View Post
    It does have the chain stitching on the feathers , but I've never seen a real one in person .
    You're in good company because no one has ever seen a real one in person (that can be verified anyway), although there is no shortage of post-war versions. There have been several discussions on WAF and believers exist, but that belief is relegated to a matter of faith rather than fact.

Introduced late in the war (for actions only after September, 1944), it was awarded on paper but there's no proof of any actual patches being awarded. Aside from the gross fakes and known re-enactor types, there are two main categories that persist in most discussions. The one shown in this thread is the "Type 2" with no provenance whatsoever except for a single grouping (to Josef Weissinger) which was later discredited as having been put together. It's more common than the "Type 1" and is always minty and unworn. The "Type 1" has perhaps the best chance of being wartime but its claim of provenance only goes back to 1980 with the publication of Jorg Hormann's book which shows a grade 3 (gold border) patch attributed to Corporal Heinrich Franken from December, 1944. Another example of the "Type 1" patch in the same grade (gold border) is pictured in a 1970 issue of "Militaria" but with no provenance provided.

Here are the summary images of both the Type 1 and Type 2 patches in all three grades (green border, silver border and gold border). The Type 1 has a slightly more elongated oval shape and different reverse stitching from the Type 2 and is only on a grey background. The Type 2 (more common) comes on three backings -- grey, Feldgrau and coarse Feldgrau -- all with identical stitching. The one on coarse Feldgrau suspiciously occurs with no border (a non-existent grade) and has shown up on Staegemeir's site, but as mentioned the stitching is still identical to the other varieties of Type 2.

Best regards,
    ---Norm
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Scharschutzen aubzeichen   Scharschutzen aubzeichen  

Scharschutzen aubzeichen   Scharschutzen aubzeichen  

CBH
    ?

Thanks for the post Norm , I didn't know about the lack of evidence of it ever being issued . But that makes total sense being a late war badge . Great reply very informative .

Someone seems to believe enough in these badges to have just spent 1,500 Euro's ( £1299 or $1684 U.S. PLUS a 17.5% buyers premium on top) for this example at tonights Ratisbon's auction:

ratisbon's | German Sniper's Badge - Grade I | WE BUY & SELL MILITARIA

Scharschutzen aubzeichenScharschutzen aubzeichen

As long as they're happy, that's all that matters says I.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Quote by big ned View Post
    Someone seems to believe enough in these badges to have just spent 1,500 Euro's ( £1299 or $1684 U.S. PLUS a 17.5% buyers premium on top) for this example at tonights Ratisbon's auction.
    That's just plain naive, in my opinion. That's the typical grade 1 Type 2 on Feldgrau, the most common type to show up and, as always, pristine and unworn. Absolutely no provenance and exactly the same stitching as seen on three different backings including the Staegemeir borderless example on coarse Feldgrau. There's a very fine line between these and Eva Braun's panties.

Best regards,
    ---Norm

Quote by Norm F View Post
    That's just plain naive, in my opinion. That's the typical grade 1 Type 2 on Feldgrau, the most common type to show up and, as always, pristine and unworn. Absolutely no provenance and exactly the same stitching as seen on three different backings including the Staegemeir borderless example on coarse Feldgrau. There's a very fine line between these and Eva Braun's panties.

Best regards,
    ---Norm
    I couldn't agree more Norm.....
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.