Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Schnellbootskriegsabzechen. 1st type tombak

Article about: Good afternoon gents, I have been after one of these for quite some time to augment my KM Flotilla (not near "fleet" size ) and although I always avoid repaired zinc badges I feel

Default Schnellbootskriegsabzechen. 1st type tombak

Good afternoon gents,

I have been after one of these for quite some time to augment my KM Flotilla (not near "fleet" size ) and although I always avoid repaired zinc badges I feel that somehow with a tombak badge a repair almost adds to the historical air of a piece. It seems to me that a period repair indicates that the badge was in fact issued and worn rather than being picked up by an allied soldier from a store or tailors shop. Also, the holder valued it sufficiently to seek repair. These badges certainly seem to have been on "the shop floor" as it were

Anyway, this one came along and I made a deal with which I was happy. I could have paid much more for a mint example but cost implication aside, a mint badge would not have the character of this one.

All comment / opinions appreciated.

Regards

Mark

(Now looking to acheive the same with an Aux Cruiser badge!)

Schnellbootskriegsabzechen. 1st type tombakSchnellbootskriegsabzechen. 1st type tombak
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Schnellbootskriegsabzechen. 1st type tombak
    P
    Many

Despite the repair,it's still a fine looking badge Mark and a desirable one too.

As you say it could well be a period repair job?

I like it.

Cheers,Martin.

Congratulations on your new addition, Mark! A desirable Badge showing Honest Service Wear...I'm primarily a Wehrmacht Collector, but I've decided to step out of my comfort-zone and put together a small representative grouping of KM Badges with the Mine-Sweeper, the Destroyer and the Fleet Badge for my Display...I'll be sure to have them vetted by you guys first though, lol...
    cheers, Glenn

like it repair and all.

Hi Mark, a lovely 1st type example, a fine looking award that will grace your collection. I only have a second type! Leon.

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Hi Mark, a lovely 1st type example, a fine looking award that will grace your collection. I only have a second type! Leon.
    Yep, I hung out for a tombak example and that of course meant Schwerin too so two criteria before considering anything else!

I prefer tombak pieces in general but for some reason I can't quite accept zinc KM badges whilst I have zinc Heer and LW items(?). However, I appreciate that in this case the S-Boot 2nd type is actually a very different badge so give me time

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Very nice. I like it.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

MAP
    ?

Nice. Like you, I'm trying to build out my flotilla collection and have been looking for one of these as well. Congrats!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Good honest first type schnellboot badge, as already said the catch repair is very likely period made, all in all excellent badge, well done