Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Singer's association medal

Article about: Hi, I have this singer's association medal, and I need some opinions about it. I think it's not a very common medal and I don't find info's about this subject. Ribbon passed at UV light test

R.R
    ?

Default Singer's association medal

Hi,

I have this singer's association medal, and I need some opinions about it. I think it's not a very common medal and I don't find info's about this subject. Ribbon passed at UV light test but at the burn test results pointed some kind of synthetic material like nylon. I'm not sure about date and name engraving too, it looks like the Hitler's facsimile signature at the mothercrosses. Has someone some opinions about it? Is it a copy or a strange and uncommon original one?

Thanks and regards,

Ricardo

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Singer's association medal
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Singer's association medal

I can honestly say I've never seen anything like it before but I am interested to learn more about it. It is entirely possible that it may be a locally awarded medal for a singing competition and therefore not many will have been made and only awarded to a very few people who competed.

Andreas maybe able to offer more information is he sees this thread...........

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

the ribbon does contain a synthetic material such as nylon. this can be seen just by looking at the frayed ends in the photo.

nylon was in existence the year before the date engraved on the medal. i do not know how widespread it's use was, if at all. i know it was first used commercially in stockings in 1940 and in toothbrushes in 1938. but i could be wrong about these exact years. however, i could surmise it was not used in ribbon until sometime after the engraved date on the medal.

perhaps the ribbon was added as a replacement to an original medal later?

a real interesting medal however.

I think its for a member of the choir association reaching a particular grade of singing

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

The text on the medal roughly translates as:

"Singers' Circle
    Meschede
    Prize Singing
    Dorlar
    17 May 36
    "

("Prize Singing" was the best I could come up with. "Wertung" literally means "judging", "assessment" etc.)

Meschede is a town in North Rhine-Westphalia. Dorlar (now incorporated into the municipality of Lahnau) is a community in Hesse. Don't let the different states fool you: The two places are only some 20 kilometers away from one another.

I don't know anything else about the item and cannot make a really qualified comment on authenticity.

Personally, though, I don't believe that a faker would copy or make up an obscure prize medal for a small-town singing contest.

(However, as has been said above, it could be that the ribbon is not original to the medal.)

I think Nick's right. Whatever it's for, I like it. Would go nicely with these.

Tom
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Singer's association medal   Singer's association medal  

Attached Images Attached Images Singer's association medal 

R.R
    ?

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    The text on the medal roughly translates as:

"Singers' Circle
    Meschede
    Prize Singing
    Dorlar
    17 May 36
    "

("Prize Singing" was the best I could come up with. "Wertung" literally means "judging", "assessment" etc.)

Meschede is a town in North Rhine-Westphalia. Dorlar (now incorporated into the municipality of Lahnau) is a community in Hesse. Don't let the different states fool you: The two places are only some 20 kilometers away from one another.

I don't know anything else about the item and cannot make a really qualified comment on authenticity.

Personally, though, I don't believe that a faker would copy or make up an obscure prize medal for a small-town singing contest.

(However, as has been said above, it could be that the ribbon is not original to the medal.)
    Hi HPL,

It's the answer for one of my doubts, Dorlar is a place, not a person. It's not a nominal engraved medal, but a medal engraved for a singing contest at Dorlar. I agree, is very strange to me too if someone had faked a obscure medal like this one.

Regards,

Ricardo

?

Probably uinique engraving....but collectable?
    Pete