Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

For Souval fans................

Article about: Gents, just a snippet of information, I do not wish to teach my Grandmother to suck eggs, so apologies to those in the know...........according to Mark Woods excellent book "German Meda

Default For Souval fans................

Gents, just a snippet of information, I do not wish to teach my Grandmother to suck eggs, so apologies to those in the know...........according to Mark Woods excellent book "German Medal Makers and there marks 1813-1957" and I quote:-
    Rudolf Souval born 1819, master medal maker in Vienna, Austria (something we all knew) workshop based at Strasse Der Julikampfer 23, Souval died in 1899 and the firm was taken over by Herr Ludwig Umlauf and his wife who continued to produce awards still using the Souval name. (something I did not know !).....the book states that at the time of printing (2008) the firm is still in business in a much reduced form, making corporate pins and trophies and that none of the old medal making tools or records exist.
    There we have it, interesting reading indeed......................
    Prost ! Steve.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement For Souval fans................
    P
    Many

Thanks Steve very interesting, but it is said that until about 1980 they were still producing 'wartime' EK's !

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Quote by Woolgar View Post
    Thanks Steve very interesting, but it is said that until about 1980 they were still producing 'wartime' EK's !Nick
    Yes I believe so Nick, never been a fan until recently, I remember the good ol days or should that be bad ol days, when most of Souvals post war made awards were all to often sold as genuine wartime pieces ......but we as collectors have come along way since those days, they are (post war variety) now collectable in their own right, often commanding good prices....Indeed I have several of the firms 1957 type awards and a 1960's Knights Cross with Oaks & swords !
    Prost ! Steve.

Souval's shop was there in 2003 according to Nigel (Mod over on 57 section WAF) Image courtesy of him.........but no trace now on an internet search, gone /closed down ? anyone confirm this...............
    Prost ! Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture For Souval fans................  

Hi Steve,sunday saw a beautiful mint condition convex KvK with swords 1957 type I was very tempted until the dealer said £90.Harry

c above.

Quote by oradour View Post
    Yes I believe so Nick, never been a fan until recently, I remember the good ol days or should that be bad ol days, when most of Souvals post war made awards were all to often sold as genuine wartime pieces ......but we as collectors have come along way since those days, they are (post war variety) now collectable in their own right, often commanding good prices....Indeed I have several of the firms 1957 type awards and a 1960's Knights Cross with Oaks & swords !
    Prost ! Steve.
    Great information as ever Steve, miserable sod that I am, I personally have never bought Souval awards mainly because I can not be bothered to argue the toss when wanting to sell them on. Some people know them inside out and trust the time line , others (like me) think it's more hassle than it's worth. A shame really from my perspective as the pieces themselves are fantastically well made. Leon.

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Great information as ever Steve, miserable sod that I am, I personally have never bought Souval awards mainly because I can not be bothered to argue the toss when wanting to sell them on. Some people know them inside out and trust the time line , others (like me) think it's more hassle than it's worth. A shame really from my perspective as the pieces themselves are fantastically well made. Leon.
    Leon, I know the feeling ! I own a few pieces, but still are hesitant when it comes to shelling out for pieces bearing the swastika ! as you say a lot of them are superbly made......I think a Deutsche Kreuz in Gold is next, but only if marked L/58, some Souval's are not marked at all ! Here is my Souval RK.............
    Prost ! Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture For Souval fans................  

Hi guys,
    Interesting Info :-)
    Here is a EK1. L58, Souval of mine ;-)
    Mfg
    Marc

?

Thumbs up

The post war Souval medals were marked differently than the wartime ones.
    I used to go to their factory - different location than their store front shown above - in the 80 u. 90s and buy medals from them, mostly for sale to WW 2 reenactors.
    It was interesting to look at all of the medals they made - From start to current and for many countries - hanging on display in their ante room.
    I had heard that they were completly out of business several years ago.
    Sarge

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast