Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Spanien Kreuz.

Article about: Good afternoon. I wanted to hear your opinions about this Spanienkreuz. Someone told me, it would be a silver one (stamp"800") upgraded to a gold one. It measures 5,7cm from left t

Default Spanien Kreuz.

Good afternoon.

I wanted to hear your opinions about this Spanienkreuz. Someone told me, it would be a silver one (stamp"800") upgraded to a gold one.
    It measures 5,7cm from left tip to right tip, the plate in the middle 1,6cm, the weight 36 gr. The needle has been repaired.
    Any opinions?

Thanks

grenzwolf
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Spanien Kreuz.   Spanien Kreuz.  

Spanien Kreuz.   Spanien Kreuz.  

Last edited by Adrian; 07-23-2011 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Title changed to use German terminology.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Spanien Kreuz.
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Spanish cross

I have to say I'm not convinced by it. I don't know anything about the Spanien Kreuz and have just been comparing this one to some originals. The cut outs between the arms of the swastikas held by the eagles should be cut out, not solid filled. The only exception seems to be on crosses by Petz & Lorenz and this isn't one of those.
    There also seems to be a small mark on the central disc at about 4 o'clock (as you look at the first photo) that looks like a join?
    The other thing that puts me off is the fact only Meybauer seemed to make '800' crosses and again, this doesn't look like a Meybauer.

I hope some more members can chime in here and give some opinions..........

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

Not being fully conversant with the Spanish cross i can only see what i would consider as possible problems, firstly i agree with Adrian, that does look like a join, secondly the swastika bottom left in the first picture is illformed, something that i would think would be rejected on an item of this quality, also the solid infill of the crosses, again judging by other examples considered genuine, that could be a problem area, it might not be a fully informed opinion but its something that would worry me in hand and i would probably pass due to the possible outlay involved

The clutch (FEET) looks bad to me. This is a good Meybauer to compare to that I have saved in my database.

Eric
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Spanien Kreuz.  

For a fairly coveted and prestigious award, the details looks much to soft for my liking. Like has been said, the eagle's swastika's almost certainly would not be left solid and should have been cut out. I'd pass on it,if it were offered to me. Just my opinion. William

Thank you.
    I have heard from another collector, that this would be a silver one, "upgraded"
    through (I only know the german word) "nachträgliches vergolden".
    There is a nearly similar silver one at collectors guild. And the silver ones are sometimes known with the 800 stamp in it. The filled romm between the swastika arms is also at the guild one.

?

The other thing that's putting me off is the width of the borders on the arms. Every other cross I've looked at has thinner borders. It might be that I haven't looked at every variant of course but it's worth looking to see if you can find another example deemed original which has these thicker edges.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

The "800" stamp was also used by Steinhauer und Lück, Lüdenscheid.
    The one on the picture beyond is the one from the coll.Guild.
    Looks similar to me. But silver, not gold.
    I hope, I do not hurt the copyright.
    Attached Images Attached Images Spanien Kreuz.