Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Spanienkreuz (ground dug), real?

Article about: Hi all, Any opinions on this (according to the seller) ground dug Spanienkreuz? I've compared it to others that members have posted, and the overall detail seems ok, though perhaps the 'grai

Question Spanienkreuz (ground dug), real?

Hi all,

Any opinions on this (according to the seller) ground dug Spanienkreuz? I've compared it to others that members have posted, and the overall detail seems ok, though perhaps the 'grain texture' is a little too chunky in the cross and around the swastika?

I'd appreciate any opinions. Ground-dug things can be a mine field obviously, but this one looks in reasonable condition.

Spanienkreuz (ground dug), real?Spanienkreuz (ground dug), real?Spanienkreuz (ground dug), real?Spanienkreuz (ground dug), real?Spanienkreuz (ground dug), real?Spanienkreuz (ground dug), real?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Spanienkreuz (ground dug), real?
    P
    Many

It's a very poor fake. The swords are integral on original crosses, but the eagles are not and are soldered over the top of the swords and attached to the cross by the wing tips. The swords, eagles and cross are all a single casting in your cross and that's no good. See the reverse of the Juncker cross below I've used to demonstrate the differences, they then becomes obvious.

Regards, Ned.

Spanienkreuz (ground dug), real?
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Avoid. A crudely aged fake. Clever little thieves, arent they?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Aah, thanks Ned! I saw pictures of a few with the whole medal cast as one piece, hence my initial question. Thanks for putting that right.

Wargriff - absolutely, it's amazing what measures they'll take to make some quick money. Silly thing is that this thing is not even going for that much. It's what made me weary - but then ground digs sometimes sell for quite little.

?

Here is mine for comparison.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Spanienkreuz (ground dug), real?   Spanienkreuz (ground dug), real?  

Spanienkreuz (ground dug), real?   Spanienkreuz (ground dug), real?  

Thanks Anzel, much appreciated.

It's a beautiful medal, hopefully I can pick one up somewhere.

Start saving for one Now, Iron-they are on the "pricey" side, for sure! And then...there's the Gold grade....and a Diamond grade...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Quote by Iron Hussar View Post
    Thanks Anzel, much appreciated.

It's a beautiful medal, hopefully I can pick one up somewhere.
    You are very welcome. These are tough to find on safari but I suppose they pop up every now and then. Be sure to check in here with members like Ned and many others who will steer you in the right direction. I owe Ned a keg of beer by now!

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Start saving for one Now, Iron-they are on the "pricey" side, for sure! And then...there's the Gold grade....and a Diamond grade...
    As with all this stuff, there is always a better grade just when you pick up the item you really want Makes me wish I started collecting 20 years ago!

Quote by Anzel View Post
    You are very welcome. These are tough to find on safari but I suppose they pop up every now and then. Be sure to check in here with members like Ned and many others who will steer you in the right direction. I owe Ned a keg of beer by now!
    I've learned a wealth of info from all the great people on here. There should be a worldwide meeting of the forum somewhere/sometime. I vote for it being in Poland I'll put the first keg on.