Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SPANISH CIVIL WAR GERMAN LEGION CONDOR medal

Article about: Hi guys, I have come across this Spanish civil war Legion Condor medal. This medal type is one of my favourites, but prior to buy or not, could you please give me your views about it?, thank

Default SPANISH CIVIL WAR GERMAN LEGION CONDOR medal

Hi guys, I have come across this Spanish civil war Legion Condor medal. This medal type is one of my favourites, but prior to buy or not, could you please give me your views about it?, thanks, Juan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SPANISH CIVIL WAR GERMAN LEGION CONDOR medal   SPANISH CIVIL WAR GERMAN LEGION CONDOR medal  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SPANISH CIVIL WAR GERMAN LEGION CONDOR medal
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

There is actually a really good thread on these over at WAF. These awards were made by a few manufactures and were officially produced well after the war (and there are fakes as well) . There was some debate as to whether the "balloon" or "acorn" at the top below the suspension ring/ball indicates it as being post war (yours does not have that) but I think this theory has since been debunked and just chalked up to different makers.

These medals are quite common in europe I am told and not very expensive. But I really love the way they look. Yours however concerns me. I do not like the quality and the black paint. From what I have seen (and I have only handled a couple so take it with a grain of salt), I am not aware the darker sections were painted which is clearly visiible here. Let's wait for more opinions.

Spanish Campaign Medal-lg.condor - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

Here is mine

Spanienkreuz in Bronze

Regards,

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Hello Juan,
    I am unable to give you a direct answer as these medals have been made for a number of years now.
    It certainly doesn't seem to be a Spanish variant as the dragons claws are too far away from the perimeter of the medal.
    Deumer it appears from my research struck a medal that looks similar to yours.

All the best
    Doug

If you try putting this in to your google search box:
    LA MEDALLA DE LA CAMPAÑA 1936-1939 dialnet

It gives you a heading: Texto completo - Dialnet
    which takes you to a PDF file written in Spanish about these medals.
    OR see below

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...XfPu_OZeT23mwQ

Thanks guys for the info, been looking at the different variants throughout the spanish article and none seem to match the one I posted. Also, if you notice on the back of the medal where it s written 17 JULIO 1936, the U seems to be bigger than the other letters, do not know if this might be a picture effect or not. Also noticed that the sword of the right hand side on the back of the medals does not have a cross guard, compared to those I have been looking at. On the back, there is also some missing black paint. Either, this is a different nice badge or I am facing a super fake. If you guys can help, I will take a decision upon your comments one way or the other

MAP
    ?

Sorry, I can not help further. If these are as common as I have heard, would it not make sense to wait for a textbook version?

Did you check out the WAF link? quite a few examples in there as well.

And my last point/question: I did not think that these were painted. Always thought there was either a wash or blueing to the interior of the medal and only the gold portion was "painted" (guilded).

Michael
    Last edited by MAP; 09-25-2015 at 05:06 PM.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Hi Michael, I have many doubts about this medal and you are right why should I get into trouble and buy something which I am not 100% sure. Unless another member/s prove me wrong, I think I will pass and wait and see. Never know what this might lead to. Look forward to see other comments

Hello Juan
    As you have read the article the originals were made by EGANA.
    As Michael says they don't seem to be particularly rare so I would hang on till a nice vintage boxed example comes along. They were made by the firm up until the 1960s in various strikes.
    The one you have looks like it could be a variant that was produced by one of the many other firms that are continuing to manufacture them.
    I guess it is an equivalent '57 pattern

Doug

These are a littly tricky. I personally would consider your ensemle to be a wartime original.

Thanks for that, if I may ask, what makes you think that this is a wartime original?
    Quote by Landsknecht View Post
    These are a littly tricky. I personally would consider your ensemle to be a wartime original.

I like the material of the medal and the ribbon+mounting. I would not have a problem with this piece...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast