MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Spanish issue medal for the Blue Divsion

Article about: Hi Guys, I have always wanted one of these to go with my German issue medal for members of the Blue Division and ribbon bar to an Officer who fought with the unit. Finally obtained one this

Default Spanish issue medal for the Blue Divsion

Hi Guys, I have always wanted one of these to go with my German designed medal for members of the Blue Division (Tapferkeits- und Erinnerungsmedaille der Spanischen "Blauen Division") and ribbon bar to an Officer who fought with the unit. The ribbon bar can be seen here:

Show your ribbon bars.

Finally obtained one this week.

The Falangist Spanish Govt under General Franco authorised this medal in 1944 for former members of the División Azul. By 1944, Allied pressure on "neutral" Spain had forced the official withdrawal of the unit home. However, many Spaniards fought on in the Waffen SS to the very end of the war.

There are several versions of this medal. The first issue, seen here, was made in 1944 out of silvered brass. This is the type first issued to enlisted men and NCO's. (The Officers version was a two part construction, with the eagle separately applied. Around 600 of these were made before the die broke. This was not repaired.)

This official issue medal was only made by "Díez y Compañía, SA" (Madrid).

Post war the medal could be purchased as a replacement item for wear by Veterans. This medal was made by Saez, a small firm from Madrid. These are different from the wartime example shown here.

Points to note on the wartime medal: there are five voided gaps between the eagles wing feathers. The post war copies have only four gaps. The wartime swastika is well formed with the correct length arms. The Post war version has a rather badly done swastika with uneven length arms.

The ribbon on the wartime version can also be defined from the post war examples by the width of the white stripe to the German National colours. Mine has the wartime ribbon.

As ever, there are outright fakes of these to be found. Poorly cast, incorrect number of voids to the wing feathers, etc.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Spanish issue medal for the Blue Divsion   Spanish issue medal for the Blue Divsion  

Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Spanish issue medal for the Blue Divsion
    P
    Many

Nice Medal Ade,

Here is mine, also a war time issue. 5 gaps between the feathers and on its original brooch hanger. I have also included photo's of its box which is marked on the side (not shown on photo's) Diez Y Compania, S.A. -Madrid. I purchased this to go alongside my Spanish produced EK11 and WiO medal

.Spanish issue medal for the Blue Divsion

Thanks Robin. Nice complete example.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

great quality badge Ade.

Awesome medals guys, thanks for showing. I'm heading to Spain this summer, maybe I can locate one of these pretty little treasures while I'm there.

Ade,

Did they make a medal withoiut the cutouts?

Ade,

Between the feathers and at the lower portion of the medal.

?

Hello, it is original. Take a few minutes and read this thread from beginning to end and it will answer a lot of your questions. We discussed these in detail and some knowledgeable members provided a lot of insight into the variants and manufacturers. Particularly on page 2, "TABSTABS1964" goes into great detail.
    Regards, Al

CLICK LINK : Division azul medal

?

Quote by militariacoll View Post
    Ade,

Between the feathers and at the lower portion of the medal.
    There were many variants made throughout the years and for decades after the war to provide replacements for veterans of the Division Azul. Spain remained a Dictatorship until the mid 70's and the association with swastika or the German campaigns were not necessarily frowned upon. Some variants included these without cutouts and the Officer's version which was the thicker three piece construction type like below. Be sure to read the link I provided for clarification.

Spanish issue medal for the Blue DivsionSpanish issue medal for the Blue Divsion

Spanish issue medal for the Blue DivsionSpanish issue medal for the Blue Divsion

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast