Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

SS 8 year service medal in 4 medal bar.

Article about: Hi guys, can I have some opinions on this 4 medal bar please? Especially for the 8 years true service SS medal. Thanks.

?

Default SS 8 year service medal in 4 medal bar.

Hi guys,

can I have some opinions on this 4 medal bar please? Especially for the 8 years true service SS medal. Thanks.

SS 8 year service medal in 4 medal bar.SS 8 year service medal in 4 medal bar.SS 8 year service medal in 4 medal bar.SS 8 year service medal in 4 medal bar.SS 8 year service medal in 4 medal bar.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS 8 year service medal in 4 medal bar.
    P
    Many

Hi Krisse,

From the limited photo's supplied, I would say that this is not one of the two accepted types of 8 year medal. The oakleaf wreath matches neither imo. Straight on pic's would confirm.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Agree regarding the 8yr medal, not one I would want in my collection.

?

Okay thanks guys.

?

Hello,
    I am also not a big fan of the medal. Let me say this, any medal bar with an SS service award on it should be viewed with the greatest of suspicion.

Jody

Why would that be, Jody?

?

Smile

Hello,
    First off with anything SS, you have to be careful. For the most part, SS Long service medals were very rarely worn on medal bars. I think I can count maybe eight or so good ones I have seen in 42 years (that includes Himmler's bar-which I have seen). The same goes for SS Long service devices found on ribbon bars (I think I have seen less than five good examples). They are not common. It is like finding SS peak caps with colored piping, they are rare (just a few good examples of those exist as well). So when I see one on a bar I become suspicious; I have seen even good bars were they removed a Faithful Service medal and replaced it with an SS medal. One of my good friends the late John Pepera (who was one of the early SS gurus in the collecting world-from who I learned a lot), even expressed to me back in the day how hard it is to find good examples on bars.

So that is my take on them, yes good examples are out there but they are very rare.

Jody
    Last edited by Jody; 10-15-2014 at 06:25 PM.

Sounds fair enough to me!