Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

SS-Dienstauszeichnung 3.Stufe (8 Jahre)

Article about: Here is an 8 year long service medal I have picked up. I don't see any problems with it but would like some other eyes to look it over. All comments and opinions welcomed. Thanks Steve

Default SS-Dienstauszeichnung 3.Stufe (8 Jahre)

Here is an 8 year long service medal I have picked up. I don't see any problems with it but would like some other eyes to look it over. All comments and opinions welcomed.

Thanks Steve
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS-Dienstauszeichnung 3.Stufe (8 Jahre)   SS-Dienstauszeichnung 3.Stufe (8 Jahre)  

SS-Dienstauszeichnung 3.Stufe (8 Jahre)   SS-Dienstauszeichnung 3.Stufe (8 Jahre)  

Last edited by rbminis; 04-15-2016 at 05:43 AM. Reason: Edited title to use the correct German terminology.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS-Dienstauszeichnung 3.Stufe (8 Jahre)
    P
    Many

I have to say that I do not care for it all that much. If you look at the bases of the lettering, there are visible blobs and flaws to them. Particularly the bases of the left legs of the "R"s in Fur and Der. The ribbon looks to be a replacement also. On the reverse side, there is much corrosion and what looks like rust. I would keep looking for a better example. They are not difficult to find.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

The medal is an original type II with no issues I can see. As said, the ribbon is a later replacement, it looks to be a nylon type with a bordered edge.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    The medal is an original type II with no issues I can see. As said, the ribbon is a later replacement, it looks to be a nylon type with a bordered edge.

Regards, Ned.
    Thanks for the input Ned. It is good to have confirmation the medal is an original. It is a money back deal that I worked out with the fellow collector so i think I will hang on to it as it only cost me $385 US all in. What are the chances of finding an original ribbon?

Steve

Hello Steve, this is a really nice original piece...well done.

Ribbons: I have searched for years to find original rayon ribbon and never had any joy.
    Have you thought of buying a cheapy 25 year faithfull service medal and taking the ribbon & pin off that to make yours up with?
    Rayon thread is still available out there.

If you want silk ribbon of the correct spec Toye Kenning and Spencer still make cornflower blue stuff.

All the best
    Doug

Quote by Saladin View Post
    Hello Steve, this is a really nice original piece...well done.

Ribbons: I have searched for years to find original rayon ribbon and never had any joy.
    Have you thought of buying a cheapy 25 year faithfull service medal and taking the ribbon & pin off that to make yours up with?
    Rayon thread is still available out there.

If you want silk ribbon of the correct spec Toye Kenning and Spencer still make cornflower blue stuff.

All the best
    Doug
    I have lots of faithful service medals so certainly could do that.

Thanks
    Steve

Quote by No1canuck View Post

Thanks
    Steve
    Yes it is easy Steve,
    just unpick the pin threads and then you will find that the ribbon is sewn wrong side out so you just have to turn it inside out...do the unpick and it will come off easy peasy.
    When putting it through the teardrop do it in a reverse procedure turn it the correct way round and re sew the pin bar back on.

If you can't find any rayon thread (fleabay is good) look for some old rayon embroidery skeins and use a single thread from those.

Good luck
    Doug

Quote by No1canuck View Post

Thanks
    Steve
    Either 32mm or 35mm wide is acceptable and you're good to go. Parade mounted was 25mm IIRC.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

from my point of view, a fake, little detail of "8" and letters, especially umlauts and finishing medal, the ribbon also fake, comparing with a good one...
    SS-Dienstauszeichnung 3.Stufe (8 Jahre)

Dan

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast