Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SS-Dienstauszeichnung 3.Stufe (8 Jahre) mit Etui...Original?

Article about: Is this an authentic 8 year SS service medal. Would appreciate any opinions re. the medal and box. Thank you, nic.

Default SS-Dienstauszeichnung 3.Stufe (8 Jahre) mit Etui...Original?

Is this an authentic 8 year SS service medal. Would appreciate any opinions re. the medal and box. Thank you, nic.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS-Dienstauszeichnung 3.Stufe (8 Jahre) mit Etui...Original?   SS-Dienstauszeichnung 3.Stufe (8 Jahre) mit Etui...Original?  

SS-Dienstauszeichnung 3.Stufe (8 Jahre) mit Etui...Original?   SS-Dienstauszeichnung 3.Stufe (8 Jahre) mit Etui...Original?  

SS-Dienstauszeichnung 3.Stufe (8 Jahre) mit Etui...Original?   SS-Dienstauszeichnung 3.Stufe (8 Jahre) mit Etui...Original?  

Last edited by Adrian; 06-29-2013 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Title changed to use German terminology.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS-Dienstauszeichnung 3.Stufe (8 Jahre) mit Etui...Original?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Cased SS 8 Year Medal...Original?

in poor shape for a cased item

Default Re: Cased SS 8 Year Medal...Original?

Thanks for the reply. I agree. Do you think the box is original and they have just been put together?

Asp
    ?

Default Re: SS-Dienstauszeichnung 3.Stufe (8 Jahre) mit Etui...Original?

The suspension loop should be teardrop shaped. Seems, one is round that is characteristic for replica.

Regards,
    Alex

I took a look at that and the suspension loop is teardrop shape but the pointy part is upwards and the round part at the bottom.

Asp
    ?

Quote by comleyn View Post
    I took a look at that and the suspension loop is teardrop shape but the pointy part is upwards and the round part at the bottom.
    Fine.
    I don't see any problems with box. It looks similar to other from net, for instance here.

Regards,
    Alex

Thank you Alex for the feedback and link.

All things considered, I think it's likely a genuine award by P&L, but better pics of the suspension loop and jump ring would help to confirm this.The ribbon is tatty but o.k., and the case is not very clever in that it appears a piece of paper/card has been roughly cut or torn and put in the lid part of the award case to cover the fact that the padded rayon insert is missing.

When you look at the general poor condition of the medal, and the case too, considering that around half the total asking price for the ensemble is for that alone, I would pass on this one personally.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of this medal. The ridge on the suspension loop on originals comes to a sharper defined center ridge but the loop on this one has a flattened center ridge. The corrosion on it does not add to it's appeal either. As for the case, I don't believe that they originally came together but were joined sometime postwar. The case, for what it's worth, may or may not be original, but the leatherette covering of it is quite different from the example shown of Bob Hritz, as well as the color of the lining being different too. The Collector's Guild has another example of the 8 year cased award, and it, too, is lined in grey instead of this red. Given all of this, I would not have this medal in my collection. There are, as seen, others available out there and in much more presentable and less arguable conditions.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Thank you for the replies. I actually bought this about 15 years ago so am stuck with it if it is a fake. I will remove the ribbon to take photos of the suspension ring.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast