Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Tieffliegervernichtungsabzeichen in gold Real or Fake?

Article about: I've bought this many years ago and i don't know if it's real or fake. I can't find any examples on the net so i don't know even if this kind of badge was awarded during WW2... I found a lot

Default Tieffliegervernichtungsabzeichen in gold Real or Fake?

I've bought this many years ago and i don't know if it's real or fake. I can't find any examples on the net so i don't know even if this kind of badge was awarded during WW2... I found a lot infos about the similar tank destroyer badge but nothing about this one! Please any infos are welcome...
    Last edited by Adrian; 10-23-2011 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Title changed to use German terminology.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Tieffliegervernichtungsabzeichen in gold Real or Fake?
    P
    Many

Default Re: German aircraft destroyer badge in gold Real or Fake?

Sorry,i think it's fake. These were alledgedly awarded. But it's a very grey area. Better pics,so we can see the backing cloth will seal it though. Stewy

i don't have pics of the back right now but i remember it is hard to bend it and the back of it looks like this
    ( http://www.cowanauctions.com/itemImages/p1030365.jpg ). Sorry for the link but the material is identical.

These were designed but not issued in most serious collectors opinions. I would never buy one.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

I agree!

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

This is the 1st I've ever seen of one of these "on the hoof" so to speak. I think they're pretty much accepted as one of those intended but never produced badges. I'd pass on it. It is intriguing, though, for sure! William
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Default Re: Tieffliegervernichtungsabzeichen in gold Real or Fake?

An interesting badge which could make for an interesting discussion. As Ade, Stewy and William have alluded to, a very big unknown surrounds these awards. Some will say they were awarded and have proof, some will say fake without even looking at one. They were obviously designed just like the other controversial badges such as the Balloonbeobachterabzeichen but this is as far as we know. There are reports of them being awarded on paper at least but if they were physically awarded with a tangible award sewn on a uniform, I have yet to see it. If anyone can post any period image or proof of these awards, please do.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....