Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

U-boot Kriegsabzeichen

Article about: Some pictures of a Kriegsmarine U-boat badge.

More pictures, should hopefully clarify. I have never seen/had any other badges, so good reference pictures of other GWL marked badges would be handy. I'm not sure what "filled in" means. Should you be able to see the full shape of the swastika from the back as well?

U-boot Kriegsabzeichen

U-boot Kriegsabzeichen

U-boot Kriegsabzeichen

U-boot Kriegsabzeichen

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement U-boot Kriegsabzeichen
    P
    Many

?

Collector... The members on this Forum are the Best of the Best... Very rarely is there a mishap in determining authenticity... I suggest you study "Before" a purchase or ask help prior to buying...Thanks for your post...G

?

Cast ??

Yes, you should be able to easily see between the 3 arms of the swastika from both front and back. They were very meticulous at GWL about this-the spaces were filed by Hand. Only a few other badge makers did this. The hook on the reverse should be a heavy squared off solid catch-not a curled heavy wire style like this one has. The pin itself should not be flattened either by the hinge or on the tip as this one is. It should be a regular smooth rounded wire style. But, if the hardware on the reverse side is not enough to convince you, you might try simply measuring and weighing it. A genuine GWL should be 18.1 grams in weight and 48.65 mm wide by 39.16mm high-give or take a tenth of a millimeter. There are other differences as well, but, hopefully, you should see what we are talking about. If you do a search on the forum here or even on Google with "GWL U-Boat" you will see many genuine examples to compare to.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Default GWL U-boat Badge

Quote by Collects View Post
    I'll post pictures of the maker's mark and hinge soon, however condemning it as fake junk without backing your statement up isn't very helpful. Especially, since the pictures were deemed not good enough to make a final decision yet and a local militaria dealer said that it is genuine.
    Hello Collects,
    I think you might be referring to my comments about it being junk. I would like to add that I have been a collector of KM awards and items for over 35+ years and even in my avatar my son is wearing an original KM admirals peak cap (from a dear friends collection). I have also provided material for many books out there. Does that mean I am an absolute expert, infallible, and cannot make a mistake, the answer is no. That being said, I do have a better than average knowledge of KM awards.

I would like to add that I collect U-boat badges and have owned many of the makers over the years. I have seen the better pictures posted and I would like to say that it is still a piece of junk to me. U-boat badges by GWL are unique and have their own look. I can spot a real one pretty fast.

Here is a GWL that I used to own, and here are the photos. Compare your example to this one and you can see the differences. BTW, I apologize if my statement came off as flippant or too harsh.

If a local military dealer says it is good than I suggest selling the badge to him.

Regards,
    Jody
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture U-boot Kriegsabzeichen   U-boot Kriegsabzeichen  

U-boot Kriegsabzeichen   U-boot Kriegsabzeichen  

Difference in quality between the two is clear.........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Hey Collects,

William is spot on in the assessment on the swastika wings / arms. The views of yours do not show their precision honing & workmanship. This piece is a reproduction unfortunately. The group on this Forum does truly dedicate itself to helping each other in good faith. If you give you get and if you get you give back. I have collected for 30 years and when I joined here a few months ago I had a Stahlhelm Buckle given to me by a family member from Germany. Always loved it but because of the prongs and 3rd solder point I learned it was a 1960's repro. It never feels good to find out a piece is not the real deal. I believe these fellow collectors are genuine and are trying to help protect the hobby and each other. Hang in there and again welcome! Rossi

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Yes, you should be able to easily see between the 3 arms of the swastika from both front and back. They were very meticulous at GWL about this-the spaces were filed by Hand. Only a few other badge makers did this. The hook on the reverse should be a heavy squared off solid catch-not a curled heavy wire style like this one has. The pin itself should not be flattened either by the hinge or on the tip as this one is. It should be a regular smooth rounded wire style. But, if the hardware on the reverse side is not enough to convince you, you might try simply measuring and weighing it. A genuine GWL should be 18.1 grams in weight and 48.65 mm wide by 39.16mm high-give or take a tenth of a millimeter. There are other differences as well, but, hopefully, you should see what we are talking about. If you do a search on the forum here or even on Google with "GWL U-Boat" you will see many genuine examples to compare to.
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

Sorry mate, the chaps have said it all on this one, it is indeed a fake award. I have never seen reverse hardware like that on any peiod award. those flattened ends on the pin are definitely incorrect and as said GWL hinge blocks and catches were "cast in" to the award, not added after the strike. Leon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2