MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

U-boot Kriegsabzeichen

Article about: Been offered this U Boat badge. It has a story behind it (don't they all!); but I have not been able to find one with the same catch layout to compare. Looks to be a later zinc with gold was

?

Default U-boot Kriegsabzeichen

Been offered this U Boat badge. It has a story behind it (don't they all!); but I have not been able to find one with the same catch layout to compare. Looks to be a later zinc with gold wash (which has mostly gone). Detail on the swaz is a bit rough. Any thoughts please.U-boot KriegsabzeichenU-boot Kriegsabzeichen

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement U-boot Kriegsabzeichen
    P
    Many

Any markings on the back under the pin?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Some nice straight on photo's would help more here but from what i can see it looks like it might be one of the "Five Feather" U-Boat badges so called because of the five primary wing feathers on the eagle.
    To date the maker of this type of badge is unknown.
    Regards,Martin.

?

Hi Al,

It is indeed the "5-feather" U-boat mentioned by Martin. More on this type in this thread:
    U-boot Kriegsabzeichen

What's the story behind it?

Best regards,
    ---Norm

Thanks for posting the old thread Norm,i don't know how you remember this stuff.

Cheers,Martin.

?

Thanks guys, and Norm for the education. The price is right, so i will get it.
    Apparently, "These were given to my grandfather who was a battle ship commander, by a German commander that my grandfather and a British officer had convinced to order his troops to surrender off the coast of France, telling the German army of the impending invasion that they were about to encounter. There is much more to the story. The event lead to my grandfather receiving the highest award the French government awards, they gave the award to him over 50 years later." There is apparently more to it and if the sale goes through I will get the full story. Apparently the US Navy and Coast Guard can back it up.

Hi, a decent original award, but it could turn into something special if that story can be verified and given a bit more detail! Leon.