Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Unfamiliar German awards from Stalingrad

Article about: I've been offered these 3 badges from one of my Stalingrad digger friends and I've not seen these particular items before so I have no idea if they are rare at all. They are certainly intere

Default Unfamiliar German awards from Stalingrad

I've been offered these 3 badges from one of my Stalingrad digger friends and I've not seen these particular items before so I have no idea if they are rare at all. They are certainly interesting to me so I have committed to buy them but haven't yet sent the money.

Does anyone recognize them? Is this even the correct thread for such items? If not then would the moderator please shift this to the appropriate thread.

The first one is labeled as a Labor Day badge and seems to promote some kind of union between the Reich and the Hammer and Sickle of Communism? Maybe it was a German propaganda piece for Russian civilians? Is this what they call a 'tinnie'?

The second is labeled as a May Day badge and again appears to promote the Reich in union with the agricultural industry. Unfortunately the pin is missing from this.

Last but not least is a Romanian medal of some sort, while technically this is the wrong thread for it, the item was found in Stalingrad and so was under German control. Anyway the price is cheap I think and i'm more into the history of the items and the stories they could tell.

Any opinions are gratefully accepted.

Cheers
    Glenn

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Unfamiliar German awards from Stalingrad
    P
    Many

Default Re: Unfamiliar German awards from Stalingrad

The first 2 are tinnies, not rare at all, they are worth a couple of dollars i would. I am not sure about the last one, don't think it is German.
    Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

Are you positive these were dug in Stalingrad? These are funny things to find at a place like that.

?

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    Are you positive these were dug in Stalingrad? These are funny things to find at a place like that.
    Not really tinnies can turn up anywhere where the Germans were.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

ww2fotos
    ?

The third one is Romanian, I believe. I wouldn't pay much at all for those German tinnies, with both pins gone. Even if nice, they wouldn't be worth much. 10-15 euros for the lot is tops, and that is being generous.

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    I would have thought the same, why would a front line soldier in the hell of Stalingrad be carrying tinnies?

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

why would a front line soldier in the hell of Stalingrad be carrying tinnies?

?

Who says they have come from the front line or from a combat unit but even if they did it doesn't mean a soldier didn't have them with him? The Sixth Army and the part of 4th Panzer Armee were over 300,000 strong and didn't just have Military gear with them they had personal and domestic items of most things a human being would want or anything they chose to have with them , digging out the Battlefields uncovers many such items and momemtos of the lives of the individual , the reasons why a soldier would have a tinnie could be many and apply to any item from home which may have some type of sentimental value to a particular person , maybe he met his wife / girlfriend at that Arbeit day who knows ???

Sometimes when digging it is the small personal items that have no military significance that are the most poignant.

Plus i have seen Tinnies for sale in Volgograd before and some in a Museum i think the one at the school at Gorodische.

regards

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings