Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Unmarked Erdkampfabzeichen der Luftwaffe

Article about: Hello gentlemen, I'd like show you my recent acquisition, that I've been wanting add to my collection for a long time. One of them I discussed here. The badge looks uncommon. I could not fin

Just to stir things up here, take a look at this I just found on WAF:

Three Rivet Osang Ground Assault Badge - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

I therefore stick with my opinion of it being at least BASED an Osang obverse design, but although the rear 3 rivet fixing is a close match for Al's badge, it looks rather 'agricultural' for want of better words, and appears to be a soldiers homemade modification/repair at best if not a post war lash up made to deceive or even an outright fake. Whatever, the consensus matches my own to a large degree. It's got too much going on, is an unknown type of design, and in Al's case the rear set up is wrong as far as is known for Osang, although the one in the link is closer. A variant? Who knows?

All these things still render the badge as being more a leap of faith by someone wanting to believe rather than an accepted original. And until PROVEN otherwise will, I feel, remain so. Very interesting all the same though, and it would be nice if the mystery get's solved one way or the other.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Unmarked Erdkampfabzeichen der Luftwaffe
    P
    Many

Quote by big ned View Post
    Just to stir things up here, take a look at this I just found on WAF:

Three Rivet Osang Ground Assault Badge - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

I therefore stick with my opinion of it being at least BASED an Osang obverse design, but although the rear 3 rivet fixing is a close match for Al's badge, it looks rather 'agricultural' for want of better words, and appears to be a soldiers homemade modification/repair at best if not a post war lash up made to deceive or even an outright fake. Whatever, the consensus matches my own to a large degree. It's got too much going on, is an unknown type of design, and in Al's case the rear set up is wrong as far as is known for Osang, although the one in the link is closer. A variant? Who knows?

All these things still render the badge as being more a leap of faith by someone wanting to believe rather than an accepted original. And until PROVEN otherwise will, I feel, remain so. Very interesting all the same though, and it would be nice if the mystery get's solved one way or the other.

Regards, Ned.
    Hi Ned, I had a look at the WAF example, it looks to have a completely different Adler to my eye's, the bird has "big ball" talons! The hinge is placed on top of the gap in the wreath above the clouds but the originally posted badge does not even have the gap? I agree with you that whatever is going on is very odd and for me that goes for both of the badges. Personally I would not be comfortable with either. Leon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unmarked Erdkampfabzeichen der Luftwaffe   Unmarked Erdkampfabzeichen der Luftwaffe  

I did say "Based on". The wreath, wreath band, clouds and rocks around the bottom of the lightning bolt seem a good match compared to other possible makers known or unknown. The rear cut outs are also more similar than other makers I believe, although not identical. The 'gap' may just not be visible due to the hinge covering it and the eagles wing covering it perhaps? The eagles feet though are as you say, different than those on Al's badge, which throws up even more questions regarding the provenance of both badges.

I still don't like it.

Regards, Ned.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Asp
    ?

Many thanks, Ned, Leon, for active discussion. I shared my worries with the seller. Whereupon he posted the badge on two national forums. Will see what will say about one there.

Regards,
    Alex

Hi guys,

i think i was to optimistic and was flying to high yesterday evening. Now with an clear head, i agree with the sceptical opinons on this badge and i belive now too, that it is an postwar fake badge.

Sorry for confusing!!

KR
    Joe

Asp
    ?

Fellows, after discussion on other forums the seller agreed that the badge is copy. The deal is cancelled.
    Many thanks all participants.

Alex

Anytime old chap.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2