Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Unmarked Ostmedaille Opinions

Article about: Hi all. The latest ostmedaille thread has me a little concerned about one I picked up at a local show last fall. The dealer would not take my barter, charged full price on the basis that thi

Default Unmarked Ostmedaille Opinions

Hi all. The latest ostmedaille thread has me a little concerned about one I picked up at a local show last fall. The dealer would not take my barter, charged full price on the basis that this was a “fine” example.

The details appear soft. I told myself it was a worn example, and after looking at all the Ostmedailles at the show I somehow was unfortunately drawn to this one. I’ve perused the Ostmedaille-database and the helmet looks good on mine, that’s about all haha

If someone could confirm its lack of authenticity, I’ll be headed straight back to the vendor in the spring and asking for a refund.

Edit: photos uploaded sideways. Sorry folks, maybe an admin can adjust for me. Thanks.

Unmarked Ostmedaille OpinionsUnmarked Ostmedaille Opinions
    Last edited by rbminis; 02-02-2019 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Edited to orient photos.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Unmarked Ostmedaille Opinions
    P
    Many

I can tell you the ribbon is original, at least. I can't see anything wrong with the medal itself personally. Looks like a perfectly good example with some honest wear.

Regards, B.B.

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    I can tell you the ribbon is original, at least. I can't see anything wrong with the medal itself personally. Looks like a perfectly good example with some honest wear.

Regards, B.B.
    Brodie always to the rescue putting my mind at ease haha thanks my friend.

I get looking at so many examples (real and fake) that inevitably my eyes and brain turn to mush. If it’s a good example that’s fine with me haha

Additional photo including ribbon with flash
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unmarked Ostmedaille Opinions  

My own unmarked example to compare to.

Unmarked Ostmedaille Opinions

With that last photo, I'm even more confident that you have nothing to worry about. It exhibits the kind of wear and patina that can only be incurred over a period of many years.

Regards, B.B.

Hello Matt

Not sure if its the pictures or glare, but the obverse look a little odd, like some corrosion or something happened the the medaille.
    But IMO its a original OM7 / Paul Meybauer.

All the best
    Sindri

Quote by Sveimhugi View Post
    Hello Matt

Not sure if its the pictures or glare, but the obverse look a little odd, like some corrosion or something happened the the medaille.
    But IMO its a original OM7 / Paul Meybauer.

All the best
    Sindri
    Thanks Sindri! I've taken a couple more professional looking photos of the medal. There is definitely some corrosion of some sort and to be honest that was my biggest worry; figured the corrosion might cover up the reproduction details. But with the feedback here I'm feeling more confident with it.

Ignore the couple German shepherd hairs that made their way onto the medal during photographing haha
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unmarked Ostmedaille Opinions   Unmarked Ostmedaille Opinions  

?

Can you tell me if the ring is magnetic?