Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Wasted $600?

Article about: I really like this medal. The pebbling on the back looks good, the detail is there, the swastika touches the rim, the eyelit seems ok and the suspension looks like right. My only concern is

G43
    ?

Default Re: Wasted $600?

Hopefully he sees this! But thank you for the input.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Wasted 0?
    P
    Many

The ring also concerns me although it may of just been a repair. I can't tell from the photo due to I'm on a iPhone but doesn't it have rigs on the ring. I believe the originals do by both markers( once agian no expert, may have been more than two makers)
    Last edited by youthcollector1; 01-15-2013 at 09:19 AM.

G43
    ?

I believe there should be a solder mark on the suspension ring, but I thought they were usually at the top, thinnest point. There are only two makers, Deschler and Petz & Lorenz. I am no expert either, however.

Not an original. The lettering is rough and irregularly shaped and the rim in areas completely blurs out(look at 10 O'clock). The ribbon on the wreath is terribly misshapen and out of sorts and the detailing on the leaves is awful. A very poor copy.
    Last edited by Wagriff; 01-15-2013 at 09:00 AM.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

I can't help with originality as the finer details of these are outside my knowledge but I will say that if you have any doubts you might take steps to return it if possible.

One other point, Bob's medal doesn't have a smooth background, it will have fine pebbling. They all have this. The 'bubble' fake as mentioned here has larger 'pebbles' which look like bubbles, hence the name. Ned explained it in a recent thread.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

G43
    ?

Thank you all the thoughts. I have not purchased this medal but I asked the dealer to bring it to the next gun show so I could look at and possibly purchase it. Now I am leaning more towards not buying it.

Hi,in my opinion this is a fake,the ring to hold the suspension tear at the top is not very well cast,an original should show a nice sharp ridge on it,this one looks way to soft.As you and others have already said,the joint on the tear is in the wrong place and the background"pebbleing"is questionable. I would save my money.

G43
    ?

It's looking like im going to go that route. Thanks

I guess "smoother" would've been a better choose of word. Would this be consider a 70's "bubbling" fake? Thanks

I'm pleased you didn't buy it.!...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast