Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

What does the term "Mint" mean to you?

Article about: Hello Folks, I have a question, what does the term "Mint" mean to you? I feel the term gets overused a lot in this hobby, and frankly too many pieces are termed mint when in fact t

Here is a Schwerin Destroyer badge that i sold some time ago that was in superb condition and probably unworn.
    Cheers,Martin.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What does the term "Mint" mean to you?   What does the term "Mint" mean to you?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement What does the term "Mint" mean to you?
    P
    Many

Is mint something that was made at the time, but not issued and used for its intended purpose and therefore it has no history other than "It was there". I always wanted a stone mint German helmet, but then thinking about it, a helmet with some battle damage has a lot more to say than one that has sat on a shelf somewhere. I like mint items but they don't really tell a story, more than what they actually are.
    D

Hi Guys

I would say this unmarked 26 cross is pretty close to mint.

Best regards, fischer
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What does the term "Mint" mean to you?   What does the term "Mint" mean to you?  

What does the term "Mint" mean to you?   What does the term "Mint" mean to you?  

This attributed Hermann Wernstein ISA is also minty IMO.

Best Regards, fischer

Quote by martinw View Post
    Hi Jody,

well,i'm not a fan of the term "mint" although i am sure i have used the term in the past.

I'm more inclined to now use the term "unissued/unworn".

Probably the nicest looking piece i have in my collection is this Juncker Hilfskreuzer award.It is a piece that i would consider to be "issued but unworn".

It belonged to Kaptlt.Erich Kuhn who was the 1st Officer on the HK Atlantis and came with a grouping that included his other awards and a Rogge signed "Atlantis book".

The badge is in super condition and shows very little wear.

Regards,Martin.
    I'd say that was mint!..

considering the age of these items,mint means as near to factory finish as possible to get.

?

Quote by fischer View Post
    Hi Guys

I would say this unmarked 26 cross is pretty close to mint.

Best regards, fischer
    whew weeee!!! I wonder what a gem like that goes for

I think it comes down to what each collector defines as mint. Sure there are definitions of mint as far as coins, stamps and other similar items go, but there is more tolerance when it comes to stretching the definition of mint in the militaria collectors world. A truly mint item will have the appearance of being hot off the assembly line or out of the factory.

I also feel my 26 EKI is a prime example of mint, but someone else may say no, and that's their prerogative.

?

Quote by helmetone View Post
    I think it comes down to what each collector defines as mint. Sure there are definitions of mint as far as coins, stamps and other similar items go, but there is more tolerance when it comes to stretching the definition of mint in the militaria collectors world. A truly mint item will have the appearance of being hot off the assembly line or out of the factory.

I also feel my 26 EKI is a prime example of mint, but someone else may say no, and that's their prerogative.

You guys are making me drool like a dog.......

?

Hi Guys,

Interesting topic. The word "mint" is defined as "in pristine condition, as new", so technically it does not mean "perfect". A perfectly constructed item with complete unblemished finish over its entire surface would be "perfect" but that standard does not have to be met to be "mint", in my opinion. I believe Martin's term of "unissued/unworn" would often (but not always) qualify as mint. If you walked into an LDO shop in 1942, I'm sure the brand new stock would most often still show some surface imperfections since that's the nature of hand-finished items like this. That would be mint but not necessarily perfect, and indeed "perfection" is itself somewhat subjective.

I think all mint items are unworn, but not all unworn items are mint since some may have aged poorly. Here are a couple of items I would call mint even though they're not perfect.

Best regards,
    ---Norm

What does the term "Mint" mean to you?   What does the term "Mint" mean to you?  

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast