Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

what have I got Here

Article about: Hi guys I would like to know just what exactly I have here, Its obviously some sort of sports medal. But any more information on it would be appreciated . I got it with some other medals and

Default what have I got Here

Hi guys
    I would like to know just what exactly I have here, Its obviously some sort of sports medal.
    But any more information on it would be appreciated .
    I got it with some other medals and badges from a guy who said his great uncle had collected in 1945 on his release from POW camp OFLAG V111F where ever that was. I have no reason not to believe this story as all the items seem to be original.
    In the lot there also was also a police shako eagle hat badge and a ordinary police hat badge .
    Again thanks in advance
    Rod
    [ATTACH]301963[/ATTACHwhat have I got Here
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture what have I got Here  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement what have I got Here
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: what have I got Here

Going by the reverse inscription it is a medal for participation in a Police Sports Festival. Going by the obverse design I would be fairly confident in saying this medal was awarded for a shooting competition.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Adrian is correct.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Just allow me to add that this went to the winner. (= "Dem Sieger")

Yes it is a very nice Stützen shooting award and even without the ribbon it is still great because it is one of the nicer designs. As with most german medals and awards in the 30s the eagle replaced the imperial eagle but with shooting awards they usually had regional crests which in my opinion makes them easier to identify. But your inscription is helpful. You might be able to find out what class this was awarded for if you do a little digging!

Quote by plumbob View Post
    I got it with some other medals and badges from a guy who said his great uncle had collected in 1945 on his release from POW camp OFLAG V111F where ever that was.
    I forgot to add, just for additional information: It's actually Oflag VIIIF (= Roman numeral VIII, not "V111"); this was a POW camp for officers (Oflag is the abbreviation for "Offizierslager" = "Officers' Camp").

Oflag VIIIF was first located at Wahlstatt, now Legnickie Pole in Silesia (Poland) and later at Mährisch-Trübau, now Moravská Třebová in the north-central Czech Republic.

See here for a list of Oflags: Oflags

Thanks guys
    I’ve been having trouble finding anything about german police sports festivals in the thirties and there medals.I wouldn’t know where to start digging. I couldn’t find another one like it, thats why I came on here. It appears to be made of silver or mostly silver alloy.
    Are they common or collectable with other Third Reich awards and any idea what colour/type of ribbon would have been on it necklace type?
    Its nice though ,something different.
    If anyone has a link where I can find out more or see another that would be great.
    And thanks HPL2008 for that additional information At lest now I know that camp definitely existed.
    Rod

Hi Rod, I suspect (read guess) that these were regional affairs and not National Competitions?

They are certainly very collectable and while not common, I don't think they would be hugely valubable? No idea on the ribbon sorry.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Would there even be a ribbon? It has a very small ring to thread any kind of ribbon through

Rob

Thanks Ade again
    Rob you could be correct it is a small loop . It may have been for a chain or a single strand type ribbon.
    As I say until we see another we may never know. Hopefully someone on here will have one in there collection they can show us.
    Rod