Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

What medal is the ribbon for?

Article about: Hey guys just got this tunic yesterday and I am confused at what medal this ribbon is for? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Ray

Default What medal is the ribbon for?

Hey guys just got this tunic yesterday and I am confused at what medal this ribbon is for? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Ray

What medal is the ribbon for?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement What medal is the ribbon for?
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: What medal is the ribbon for?

KVK and Ostvolk?

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Quote by Adrian View Post
    KVK and Ostvolk?
    Agreed; specifically, the 2nd Class in Silver of the Ostvolk decoration.

Thanks guys. Now I have to find one lol

There are plenty around ray

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

The Wikipedia entry for the Ostvolk medal states "the Germans had to be wearing the Iron Cross 2nd and 1st class before obtaining the silver Ostvolk Medal" If so, how can a KVK and Ostvolk be worn???

Ade and Paul E cleared up my other point of confusion but I think this still stands??
    Last edited by Danmark; 03-17-2013 at 12:36 PM.
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Quote by Danmark View Post
    The Wikipedia entry for the Ostvolk medal states "the Germans had to be wearing the Iron Cross 2nd and 1st class before obtaining the silver Ostvolk Medal" If so, how can a KVK and Ostvolk be worn???

Ade and Paul E cleared up my other point of confusion but I think this still stands??
    The above information is incorrect.

All classes of the Ostvolk decoration were either awarded with swords (as a Tapferkeitsauszeichnung = decoration for bravery) or without swords (as a Verdienstauszeichnung = decoration for merit).
    Just as the swords for the KVK2, the swords for the Ostvolk decoration were worn on the ribbon bar, but not on the ribbons worn through the buttonhole.
    Thus, these two buttonhole ribbons can be for the KVK2 with or without swords and the Ostvolk decoration 2nd Class in silver with or without swords.

The 2nd class Ostvolk decoration in silver with swords was awarded to German cadre personnel if they had won the Iron Cross 2nd Class or the Clasp to the Iron Cross 2nd Class either

a) for bravery while serving with an "Eastern Peoples" unit or
    b) for leadership achievements while serving with an "Eastern Peoples" unit as the commander, the head of the staff or the 1st aide.

The 2nd Class Ostvolk decoration in silver without swords was awarded to German cadre personnel if they had won either

a) the Iron Cross 2nd Class or the Clasp to the Iron Cross 2nd Class under other conditions/in other duty positions as those listed above or
    b) the War Merit Cross 2nd Class.

(The same rules applied to the combination of the EK1/Clasp to the EK1 with the 1st Class Ostvolk decoration in silver with swords and the combination of the EK1/Clasp to the EK1 or the KVK1 with the 1st Class Ostvolk decoration in silver without swords.)

So, the combination of a KVK2 ribbon with the ribbon for a 2nd Class Ostvolk decoration is plausible.

Apart from the that, since no more than 2 ribbons were allowed to be worn in the buttonhole, the recipient may well have held the EK2 as well and worn its ribbon on the ribbon bar.

[Source for the aforementioned award conditions is the period publication Die Auszeichnungen des Großdeutschen Reiches by Dr. Heinrich Doehle.]

Someone needs to sort out the erroneous Wikipedia page then, I reckon!
    TKS for clearing that one up for me / us

Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

With all the sources of correct information out there Wikipedia would be bottom of my list when it comes to finding out about TR decorations.......

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....