Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Winterschlact Im Osten (thickness)

Article about: by Adrian I'm not sure where the seam is, can you point it out please Glenn? This is what my tired old eyes are seeing (in red) the difference in the centering of the grenade/helmet is indic

Default Re: Winterschlact Im Osten (thickness)

Quote by Adrian View Post
    I'm not sure where the seam is, can you point it out please Glenn?
    This is what my tired old eyes are seeing (in red) the difference in the centering of the grenade/helmet is indicated (roughly) white.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Winterschlact Im Osten (thickness)
    P
    Many

?

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    This is what my tired old eyes are seeing (in red) the difference in the centering of the grenade/helmet is indicated (roughly) white.
    Ahhh. I see what you mean Glenn. I took this to be the step between the rim and the ridge. Maybe Joshua can confirm?
    I'll check mine when I get home next to see if the grenade/helmet is central or not.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Glenn has a point, I have just checked my example out and it is different. I think the Ostmedal at the top of the thread is a cast fake.

I have tried unsuccessfully to upload photos to compare. Will try later

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Quote by Adrian View Post
    Ahhh. I see what you mean Glenn. I took this to be the step between the rim and the ridge. Maybe Joshua can confirm?
    Hi all,

I can confirm that the 'seam' that Glenn is referring to is indeed the step between the ridge and the rim and does not appear to be a casting seam.. There also appears to be no marks from having been filed down where a seam should be..

Here are some more closeups..

Is there anything else to look for? If I can get a general consensus as to its originality I think it might be easier to take it back.. It is from a local dealer..

Thank you all for the help

Joshua

?

I'm still not seeing a problem.............

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Looks ok to me also any makers mark on the ring?

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

Thanks guys,

Eric, there are no marks on the ring unfortunately!

One thing I have noticed, upon close inspection is what appears to be a small seam running along a 1.5cm strip along the bottom of the medal.. To me it could possibly be a stamping flaw or an improper strike, as it is only on the bottom of the piece in one small area and there are no grind marks /filing marks anywhere else on the medal and certainly no traces of this seam anywhere else on the edge of the medal.. Any ideas on what this could be?

If this is indeed a cast fake it has to be one of the better ones I have seen of this medal in particular!

-Joshua

Maybe it's just my eyes, but I don't particularly care for the suspension loop on the original post medal. The inside of the loop looks to have a rough almost cast edging to it. But, like I said, it might be just my eyes... William
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Joshua,

Out of curiosity, is the diameter of the medal over 35mm?

Rob.

This is a closeup of my un-mounted #51 and I think i'll be changing my opinion of Joshua's piece. Mine also has the Helmet/Grenade slightly off center and also a whisker of a seam running around the outer edge. Also given that over 3 million of these were awarded and mint examples can be had for 40 euro, there isn't a huge incentive to fake these in my opinion. (not to say it doesn't happen of course). Incidentally the ribbon on Joshua's example looks original to me so to think a faker would add an original ribbon to a fake medal seems pretty unlikely I reckon.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast