Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Zepellin pilots badge? (Balloonbeobachterabzeichen)

Article about: I won (spur of the moment bid) this badge at an online auction and now wonder what I have. It is described as a "Zeppelin Pilot's Badge" but I can't find any info in my online sear

?

Default Re: Zepellin pilots badge?

Quote by Adrian View Post
    Exactly, how would you know? They were designed, instituted and apparently prototypes were made. What they look like, who produced them, what happened to them and where they are is a mystery - no-one knows.
    We know there are reproductions because the quantity of these badges and the different types is vastly out of proportion to a small sample run. They were awarded on paper, that much we do know.
    We have the circumstantial evidence of reproductions. For example, your badge and my badge in the link I provided are exactly the same, therefore we can be fairly safe in saying they originated from the same tool and therefore the same maker. My badge is stamped for Godet on the reverse. Godet didn't make any kriegsabzeichen during the war so is it likely they would've been asked to design, make the tooling for and manufacture prototypes of a brand new badge? Surely to ask an established maker of badges would've been a no brainer? So, from that, it could be reasonable to say the badge above and my badge are reproductions made after the war?
    However, no-one knows 100% either way, Robert above can't call the badge a fake or outright reproduction nor can he question the quality because there is no original badge to compare to - how does he know? How do I know? How do you know?
    We can question the quality of fakes against known awards but how can we question the quality of something against something no-one has ever seen?
    Many thanks Adrian. I like a good mystery. Does anyone know the metallic composition of an original badge? I work in a lab and we have a non-destructive device (X-ray fluorescence) that can give a good idea of the metallic composition. I will try to analyze my badge once it arrives, and would be happy to analyze yours or others if interested.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Zepellin pilots badge? (Balloonbeobachterabzeichen)
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Zepellin pilots badge? (Balloonbeobachterabzeichen)

I can't answer that for sure but given that it was a late war instituted badge and badges were on the whole being produced in zinc at that time, it's a fairly safe bet to say zinc is the most likely material.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

Quote by Adrian View Post
    I can't answer that for sure but given that it was a late war instituted badge and badges were on the whole being produced in zinc at that time, it's a fairly safe bet to say zinc is the most likely material.
    Would be safe to say that an "original type II silver" would have a high amount of silver in it?

?

Silver relates to the finish, not the content of the base metal.

?

Default Re: Zepellin pilots badge? (Ballonbeobachterabzeichen)

My mystery badge has finally arrived. The maker's mark on the back consists of 3 joined circles with the letters "S", "B", and "W". It is a solid badge and quite heavy. Since no original badge such as this is known to exist, what would be the approximate value of the assumed repro shown in the photo? In any case, it's a pretty cool badge. Any comments are greatfully welcomed.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Zepellin pilots badge? (Balloonbeobachterabzeichen)   Zepellin pilots badge? (Balloonbeobachterabzeichen)  

Zepellin pilots badge? (Balloonbeobachterabzeichen)   Zepellin pilots badge? (Balloonbeobachterabzeichen)  

?

The maker BSW used a clover leaf with these letters within it, this is supposed to be a take on this makers mark but with the letters in completely the wrong order.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

The hinge looks like nothing i've seen before and what is the blue marks around the catch? They look like chemical stains?

?

Seeing its a repro, i would say a value of $20-25 , and those discolourations look like heat marks

From a recent soldering iron? I think you're right!

?

Agreed....looks like it's been heated. Anyway, although I paid more than what it's worth, it was fun and interesting researching the history of this badge. I saw one just like it on another auction web site for $900! Buyer beware!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2