Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Zinc pest ......... Help !!!!!!

Article about: Hey guys, my new APB is suffering from a little ZINC pest. I talked to a few guys who saw the badge in person, they said the pest is very light, i should be able to remove with just a extra

?

Default Re: Zinc pest ......... Help !!!!!!

Damn, i just applied, now i gotta wipe off, lol

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Zinc pest ......... Help !!!!!!
    P
    Many

?

ok, wiped off all that i could, there is still a slight sheen of the Vaseline, but the badge itself looks fine, and no pest .....I will let dry and reapply Vaseline, without aloe.

?

It will retain a certain sheen after vaseline but this is no problem. Better that than a rotting badge.....

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

So should i reapply the regular Vaseline, i didn't really think aloe to be an issue, it was an after thought. I just put the initial coat on, then wiped it off like after 20 min after we questioned if aloe was ok........ I do notice that the badge is darker, and seems to not have as much of the silver wash visible ....will the the silver wash become visible again after it dries?

Quote by Newbie View Post
    ok, wiped off all that i could, there is still a slight sheen of the Vaseline, but the badge itself looks fine, and no pest .....I will let dry and reapply Vaseline, without aloe.
    It will probably not dry.
    I would just reapply and wipe off as much as you can. I have had 1 or 2 badges that had very little zinc pest and I only applied to the pest and near surrounding area for a short period of time and that seemed to work well.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

Here is the final result......a little shy of 24 hrs....
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Zinc pest ......... Help !!!!!!  

Your badge looks much better yet imo.

My result.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Zinc pest ......... Help !!!!!!  

Does the coat of Vaseline actually stop the Zinc pest?,I'm sure I read somewhere that its sadly an irreversible condition...the scourge of badge collecting!

Would it be a wise move to treat all WW2 badges (Zinc pest or not) with Vaseline as a general act of preservation?

?

I don't think it stops it but it does improve the condition and arrests the progress and severity of the rot. I think (and correct me if I'm wrong) that the zinc pest needs air and the vaseline leaves a barrier which protects the base metal. I think it also depend on the quality of the zinc too. Obviously there is bound to be differences in quality between batches and the poorer quality zinc seems to be more affected.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Quote by DAZZA3483 View Post
    Does the coat of Vaseline actually stop the Zinc pest?,I'm sure I read somewhere that its sadly an irreversible condition...the scourge of badge collecting!

Would it be a wise move to treat all WW2 badges (Zinc pest or not) with Vaseline as a general act of preservation?
    A really zinc pest comes of the inside of the material.You have no chance to stop it.

A soft oil or vaseline,is a good protection for oxidation or other reactions they touch the material from outside.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast