Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Fallschirmschützenabzeichen Assmann L64

Article about: Hello I am French and unfortunately I do not speak English. I use the translator I need your help Can you tell me if this badge is good or a kopie? Thank you very much

Hi, as it stands I think you have an original "mould 1" Assmann badge, I do think that it has been re-finished though. It has only been in the last few years that these late war zinc badges have been turning up with a high level of finish on them. Prior to that, I only ever saw a few of them with a good finish on them, the vast majority were in their "grey" state from the colour being absorbed into the zinc over time.
    Here is my "mould 2" for comparison.
    All the best, Leon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Fallschirmschützenabzeichen Assmann L64   Fallschirmschützenabzeichen Assmann L64  

Attached Images Attached Images Fallschirmschützenabzeichen Assmann L64  Fallschirmschützenabzeichen Assmann L64 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Fallschirmschützenabzeichen Assmann L64
    P
    Many

Thank you to you

That positive opinions so far

Great pic of the catch Leon

Quote by big ned View Post
    For me it's a good one. Everything seems right and nothing stands out as being wrong to me. The fitting of the barrel of the pin to the cast in hinge posts is very tight and is not found in fakes of this badge where there is either a lot of play in it, or that the pin itself has been bent around the central barrel between the posts rather than soldered directly onto it.

I would be interested to hear other opinions on the badges originality or not, and reasons why either way.

Regards, Ned.
    Hi Ned,

we have spoke already about this badge in a german Forum (it is the identical badge). It´s one of the very well made fake badges. I am personaly have no big talent for spoting this kind of very late war badge. They are very very good faked in this days, but a alert signal is often the "mint" condition. My personaly opinion in the german Forum was also going to fake and some good FJ collectors spoted this badge also as a fake.

KR
    Joe

Quote by Kradmelder View Post
    Hi Ned,

we have spoke already about this badge in a german Forum (it is the identical badge). It´s one of the very well made fake badges. I am personaly have no big talent for spoting this kind of very late war badge. They are very very good faked in this days, but a alert signal is often the "mint" condition. My personaly opinion in the german Forum was also going to fake and some good FJ collectors spoted this badge also as a fake.

KR
    Joe
    I have to agree with you Joe, a bad call by me. Having hunted around for more recent information than that I was working off which had this example of the Assmann late war L/64 zincer as a good item with that particular tight fitting hinge pin, it now has become obvious to me I was wrong.

The example in this thread shows at least 3 flaws that have carried over from the original badge this was cast off. They are not factory flaws, but rather dings and scratches picked up in wear or are small anomalies that would only be found on a single example of an original badge, like flash or excess material. Every example of this particular badge now deemed fake, and rightly so, carries these small but critical details.

I point them out here so that hopefully it will help aid others who may come across this very well made fake and be fooled as I was. Thanks Joe for pointing this out, would you have a link to the thread on the "German site" as I'm not aware of it or at least can't remember it??

Once again, my apologies to the OP and all concerned.

Regards, Ned.

Fallschirmschützenabzeichen Assmann L64
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Hi Ned,

nothing to thanks!

This fakes fooled a lot of collectors! Yor are right of course with the flaws you have signed.

Here is the link: Fallschirmschützenabzeichen der Luftwaffe Fake? - Militaria Fundforum

Regards
    Joe

Cheers Joe, Good to see some very up to date info, although the translation reads like one of Gandalf's spells to me.....
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

OK, this is a fake, more doubt.

Thanks to all participants.

Damage it is really very beautiful and well done

Evening gent's, well it would have fooled me (and did) although I am always uneasy of these late war badges when they have a high finish to them. Personally I have never felt comfortable trying to "upgrade" my one as I have no reason to believe any survive with their original finish intact? Thanks for those details Ned, most useful, sorry that it has turned out to be a fake. Leon.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3