Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

German Railroad Eagle, Dont know if they are original or reproductions.

Article about: They are good pieces even if they are Repros. As I said originally I got them passed down by a family member and I have no real interest in them and I am not an expert in them either.

Default Re: German Railroad Eagle, Dont know if they are original or reproductions.

They are good pieces even if they are Repros. As I said originally I got them passed down by a family member and I have no real interest in them and I am not an expert in them either.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German Railroad Eagle, Dont know if they are original or reproductions.
    P
    Many

Default Re: German Railroad Eagle, Dont know if they are original or reproductions.

I didn't realize that they were already yours but, nevertheless, these are novelty items --- perhaps representative but, imo, worthless as collectibles (and, yes, I know repros such as these are listed at the prices quoted --- still worthless to me though). Not trying to be harsh for the sake of it, I just do not see the point in spending a lot of money (or any at all) on something like this.

Yes I know what your saying and that is your opinion buddy.

Indeed it is, buddy

Quote by cricketchris1944 View Post
    they never maded this one during WW2, sorry they did one 30 feet big
    chris
    Here's some photos for sale on WAF proving that they did (Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums), seems quite a bit bigger than the OP one though... but at least it proves that these were produced in sizes other than the 30 ft one during the period. Also, I just noticed that the plaster repro I mentioned earlier in this thread has the eagle's head turned the other way (to the right) compared to these two (the OP one and the one in these photos)... this also goes for the Reichstag eagle.

What happened to the Reichstag eagle btw? Destroyed during the final days of the war or taken by the Russians? Looks magnificent, it must have been quite the symbolic piece of war loot...

I see now from some posts in another thread that the eagle I'm guessing some of us were referring to (the big one) was not at the Reichstag but at the Kroll Opera House (thank you, bmglenn) and that it was destroyed during the final days... answers that question, at least. It looked pretty nice either way though, they sure had a way with their visuals...

As Slados28 says, there are many period photos of the first eagle in use during the Third Reich and nice ones still apear for sale from time to time. The first eagle posted is a Repro of these eagles due to the soft details and casting marks. The originals were very sharp and made of Zink, Aluminium or plaster. The original plaster one shown probably has the KDF stamp on the reverse which was the recreational branch of the DAF which sold them (Plaster over chicken wire & painted with gold paint).
    Here are some other original ones from the WAF - one in aluminium, two in zink and the other side of the plaster one.
    Regards, Michael
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German Railroad Eagle, Dont know if they are original or reproductions.   German Railroad Eagle, Dont know if they are original or reproductions.  

German Railroad Eagle, Dont know if they are original or reproductions.   German Railroad Eagle, Dont know if they are original or reproductions.  

Attached Images Attached Images German Railroad Eagle, Dont know if they are original or reproductions. 

Interesting info... thanks, Michael! I was told that the plaster ones were repros from the 70's but I guess that wasn't entirely correct after all. The examples you've shown of the various types look great though! I wouldn't mind having one in my collection... any idea what the price range of the metal examples are in comparison to the seemingly more popular later period railroad eagles?

Sure do like that 1st one a lot for several reasons, their all fake generally and I have only ever seen one that I thought was original but I would buy the first one on the spot if I saw it. The second one I dont like and looks like a 35 repro APAG but its with the other one and will have to take a closer look at that later.

The second one I dont like and looks like a 35 repro APAG- ajax3985
    - Hi ajax3985, the second one is an original that sold recently at Hermans Historica auction. Note the mounting hardware on the rear of this eagle, in particular the nail mounds & the square posts with the holes in for mounting into timber walls etc. On the repro 1st eagle at the start of this thread and other similar re-casts from the originals you can see how these square posts haven't cast properly- nor do they have the side holes forthe clips and how in general the details are much weaker and just not sharp along the lines -this one almost looks like a 'sand cast' of the original. Here are a couple more fake repro casts from originals that were previously shown on other forums, Best regards, Michael
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German Railroad Eagle, Dont know if they are original or reproductions.   German Railroad Eagle, Dont know if they are original or reproductions.  

German Railroad Eagle, Dont know if they are original or reproductions.   German Railroad Eagle, Dont know if they are original or reproductions.  

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast