Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

German Railway Eagle

Article about: Hi, Can anyone tell me if this WWII German Railway Eagle is authentic? Thanks

After looking at a closeup it does look like a filled in hole,whatever the reason it would have a bearing on price at least to me. If I had it in hand I could tell a lot more about it,with the damage its not something I would buy unless the price was right.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German Railway Eagle
    P
    Many

If the backing board can be carefully removed, I would want to see the back of the casting, (as being a suspicious type), it may reveal defects someone didn't want noticed.

Quote by Anderson View Post
    If the backing board can be carefully removed, I would want to see the back of the casting, (as being a suspicious type), it may reveal defects someone didn't want noticed.
    Unfortunately, in this hobby, you need to be suspicious.

The OP...Welcome to the forum !! Are you looking to buy this or just asking if a period piece ? You did not say.

If offered for a very low price, I like it. If the seller wants market rate for it, best to remove it from the wood mount & have the back photographed to decipher originality before buying.

Quote by real steel View Post
    The OP...Welcome to the forum !! Are you looking to buy this or just asking if a period piece ? You did not say.

If offered for a very low price, I like it. If the seller wants market rate for it, best to remove it from the wood mount & have the back photographed to decipher originality before buying.
    I certainly agree regarding price and in any case I am always very wary of any item that has been mounted on another surface!

I also find the above question particularly appropriate as, cynic that I am, I was thinking this might be another variation of the one post "what's it worth" then never heard from again type threads

If this was posted by one of the "regulars" amongst us I would see it going something like;

Guys, look what I found in......(circumstances). I think it is....... but I am not sure, what do you blokes reckon? or words to that effect.

From a new member I might expect the same prefaced with some even brief introduction.

Maybe it's just me getting old and curmudgeonly?

Either way, as a decorative feature maybe this would be of interest but as a collectors piece not without a good bit more investigation.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    Maybe it's just me getting old and curmudgeonly?
    No, it's not just you.

It would be nice to conduct proper forum etiquette when asking advice. Such as an introduction, history of the item, any provenance, such as "Where was it obtained"? Is it for sale on a site ? etc.etc. Maybe even look at threads here related to railway eagles, decide who is knowledgeable, send him a PM for estimated value. But who has time for that ? Easier to just toss it up for a free evaluation, then disappear. However, we are in an open venue, where else could the OP go for this info ? The "other" forum requires registration & limits on posting for new members (I believe). Soooo, we provide a free service. I don't mind as long as there is no "wiseguy" attitude from an OP due to opinions he may not like to hear.

Quote by real steel View Post
    It would be nice to conduct proper forum etiquette when asking advice. Such as an introduction, history of the item, any provenance, such as "Where was it obtained"? Is it for sale on a site ? etc.etc. Maybe even look at threads here related to railway eagles, decide who is knowledgeable, send him a PM for estimated value. But who has time for that ? Easier to just toss it up for a free evaluation, then disappear. However, we are in an open venue, where else could the OP go for this info ? The "other" forum requires registration & limits on posting for new members (I believe). Soooo, we provide a free service. I don't mind as long as there is no "wiseguy" attitude from an OP due to opinions he may not like to hear.

You are absolutely correct of course and the rest of us might learn something from a thread such as this even if it is limited to background "general knowledge" not relevant to ones' own specific interests.
    I also like that we have a kind of "open forum" way of operating. I just prefer to enjoy a kind of "club" atmosphere in which everyone contributes what he can and is free to take what he needs from what we have available. IE a "two way street". Personally I wouldn't dream of just just popping up amongst a group of peers wanting my question answered without at least presenting my bona fides.

I must say though that after this discourse I wonder if the OP will resurface! I for one hope he does

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 01-22-2018 at 07:30 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

German Railway Eagle

Mine is mounted on a very similar plaque.
    Very nice eagle!

I believe it is most likely real (although back photos would confirm) - there were a few mounted in this style in the late 40's as awards as can be seen in the examples here

Presentation Eagles - Third Reich Eagles

i also have one and have removed and it is real.
    Cheers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast