Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need Help Identifying this Eagle Plaque...

Article about: Can anyone help me identify this eagle plaque/emblem? What is it, where would it have been used most likely, and is it authentic? I'm not convinced the red paint around the swastika is real

?

Default Need Help Identifying this Eagle Plaque...

Can anyone help me identify this eagle plaque/emblem? What is it, where would it have been used most likely, and is it authentic? I'm not convinced the red paint around the swastika is real - think maybe the original owner may have added that.

Measures 16" wingtip to wingtip, and 10.25" from top of eagle's head to the bottom of the circle. Depth is approximately 1/2".

Material is assumed to be aluminum since it is non-magnetic.

Thoughts??
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need Help Identifying this Eagle Plaque...   Need Help Identifying this Eagle Plaque...  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need Help Identifying this Eagle Plaque...
    P
    Many

Default Re: Need Help Identifying this Eagle Plaque...

I think this is a copy of the eagle they used to have on the side of the trains,
    the origionals i think also are RZM marked on the back and are about 30in across i think someone will fine tune my input but i hope this help's
    cheer's Ronnie

?

Thanks Ronnie! Does anyone else have information regarding whether or not this eagle is authentic. I purchased it along with other items from the family of a WWII vet, including his papers, medals, and a few photographs. From the research I've done, the red paint around the swastika is definitely an addition made post war and I'm certain can be removed chemically if I wish to do so. Just need to know whether or not this piece is authentic.

Thanks!
    Dzyner

?

Dzyner - Looks good from the pictures and markings, these so called Railroad eagles were never marked with the RZM but marked with maker and material contents, which were all abbreviated as is reflected on the picture I have attached.

Someone has punched the holes through your eagle I guess for hanging and spray painted the eagle white???but it looks good from my perspective.

Horst
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need Help Identifying this Eagle Plaque...  
    "He who hesitates is lost - is not only lost but miles from the next exit"

?

Thanks Horst, but I see no markings at all on the reverse of my eagle. Is that a bad sign? I was told once that the "V"s that you see embossed into the back side are actually the maker's mark. Is that possible?

?

Quote by dzyner View Post
    Thanks Horst, but I see no markings at all on the reverse of my eagle. Is that a bad sign? I was told once that the "V"s that you see embossed into the back side are actually the maker's mark. Is that possible?
    There are a number of variations relative to these Eagles both in construction and maker/content marks on the rear also where they are placed i.e. railcars,buildings etc. I have seen one with no markings on the rear that were original - I would also think that the markings on the back of yours are related to the maker.

Horst

?

Dzyner -- Heres one that is similar to yours with the red in the swaz also variation markings - it was offered for sale by Militaria Wittman some time ago.

Horst

#27730-SMALL RAILWAY EAGLE

schnellmann
    ?

Whoever drilled the holes in your beautiful, original, TR eagle is a $%#@&!! idiot. They were so stupid they couldn't even make the holes symetrical. FOR SURE no "Deutscher" ever did that.

?

schnellmann, LOL... I agree! Although I'm thrilled to have it in my collection, the red paint and holes do often anger me. Why the previous owner didn't simply rig something to work with the existing holes I'll never know.

Horst, speaking of the red paint... the link you provided has the only photos of one this similar to mine that I've seen. In fact, aside from the black Swastika, and the missing "V"s on the reverse, its an exact match. Do you think since the example you provided also has red paint in the same place as mine that the paint on mine may be original and I should not attempt to remove it? It's very sloppily applied which is why I originally questioned it.

schnellmann
    ?

Quote by dzyner View Post
    schnellmann, LOL... I agree! Although I'm thrilled to have it in my collection, the red paint and holes do often anger me. Why the previous owner didn't simply rig something to work with the existing holes I'll never know.

Horst, speaking of the red paint... the link you provided has the only photos of one this similar to mine that I've seen. In fact, aside from the black Swastika, and the missing "V"s on the reverse, its an exact match. Do you think since the example you provided also has red paint in the same place as mine that the paint on mine may be original and I should not attempt to remove it? It's very sloppily applied which is why I originally questioned it.
    I think there are people in this world that could fix those damnable holes up so you would hardly notice them. You didn't ask my advice on the paint, but have you considered the possibility that the original red paint is underneath the sloppy paint? Maybe it was faded. (Red paint fades if exposed to sunlight) Maybe the same idiot that drilled the holes also painted it. I would try a light coat of a mild paint remover, and see it you can remove the crap on top, and maybe the good TR paint will remain. If it doesn't have a pro paint it for you. Or sell it to me, and I will do these things.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast