Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Rail Road Eagle in classifieds for review

Article about: 27" aluminum GPH railroad boxcar eagle - Militaria Collectibles buy - sell at War Relics IMO - Has all the hallmarks of recast, would like to hear other people's opinions.

With regards to the one initially discussed it seems to me that the mounting studs were of the "unfinished"/not yet threaded kind that had then been ground/cut down for easy display (hard to really tell though). I always look at those for pointers on authenticity and in this case they didn't bother me much... although I felt the photos were a bit lacking in showing their detail but not a big deal. And my inquiries into the markings were more out of sheer curiosity rather than a "red flag" kind of statement.

Either way, I really do feel that it's only natural to scrutinize these to a certain degree taking the lack of real info into account... and I hope this is accepted and understood for what it is. In other words; I'd rather know than just "believe".

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Rail Road Eagle in classifieds for review
    P
    Many

Hello all,

I would like to thank the member that brought this thread to my attention via PM as I was unaware of the discussion. I personally had JR Meda look at this one. If for any reason it is deemed to be a reproduction by this or any other great forum, I'll buy it back - and I'm typing that out as in writing; you can hold me to my word. This one is on its way to Mr. Hogle via Lakeside in Canada.

William Kramer

?

Gee I sold my last one of these for $450 and I had shown it on this forum and it was right..not as nice as this one.

Dean O
    Canada

I think it's good to hear William's reply and assurance here and I must add that I have no doubt about the expertise of Meda with regards to these items --- I guess the real "problem" lies with the current relative lack of hard info and that's why I always think it's good to have these discussion on the different features of these coveted collectibles... if not for anything else than to see what might pop up with regards to various collectors opinions based on their experience with these particular items.

And... $450? Where can I get one

?

Quote by slados28 View Post
    I think it's good to hear William's reply and assurance here and I must add that I have no doubt about the expertise of Meda with regards to these items --- I guess the real "problem" lies with the current relative lack of hard info and that's why I always think it's good to have these discussion on the different features of these coveted collectibles... if not for anything else than to see what might pop up with regards to various collectors opinions based on their experience with these particular items.

And... $450? Where can I get one
    I agree that much more common knowledge needs to known about these. We unlocked the subtle nuance of many of the items we collect. Helmets, decals, daggers, rifles, pistols, awards, caps, uniforms, ect - why should these be any different. There were some who held knowledge back on SS items for many years. Much light had been shed on those items in recents years. No offense to the "experts", but why haven't we evolved to the point that fakes are easily spotted and authentic items easily confirmed. If the gatekeeper are few, then the masses are clueless and at the mercy of others. Although far from an expert, I've handled enough of these, both reproductions and original period pieces, to recognize certain things common to each, I can't help but wonder why are these still such a mystery to most collectors. We certainly have enough collective knowledge to shed some light on them. I also think chances are there are quite a few reproductions among collections and more public knowledge may possibly open a can of worms, so to speak.

Just some thought on the matter....and not offering an opinion on anything posted in this thread. Although, I do believe peer review is always a good thing.
    Last edited by relicz; 01-27-2015 at 11:42 PM.
    Regards,
    John

Hi John.
    I can see why you had concerns about this one and I did too. I believe this is the first 27" GPH eagle that I've seen. I have one but it's 24.5" The reverse on these aren't the prettiest. I didn't see any pictures of the bird in question so I'll add them.
    Hopefully Mr. Saris's book will come out one of these days and shed some more light and knowledge on these wonderful birds.
    Thanks!

Luke

Rail Road Eagle in classifieds for reviewRail Road Eagle in classifieds for reviewRail Road Eagle in classifieds for review

Hello again,

Before I sent this one out I went ahead and took some really good images for you with an excellent light source. These will show some of the "finishing" touches after manufacture as well as emphasize the patina, which is not in any way artificial.

William Kramer
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Rail Road Eagle in classifieds for review   Rail Road Eagle in classifieds for review  

Rail Road Eagle in classifieds for review   Rail Road Eagle in classifieds for review  

Rail Road Eagle in classifieds for review   Rail Road Eagle in classifieds for review  

last
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Rail Road Eagle in classifieds for review   Rail Road Eagle in classifieds for review  

Rail Road Eagle in classifieds for review  

Great photos --- thanks for adding them! Convincing sooty patina and, of course those finishing touches you mentioned. Also, looks like this one was perhaps prepared this way when it was to be used back then? Talking about the ground down studs here... certainly looks like it was done a loooong time ago and it looks like they were ground down leaving similar circular motions such as one sees at the base of factory threaded studs... these photos are real nice for studying this variant either way! After seeing these and knowing who vetted it I would have purchased with 100% confidence ---

But, still... where that long awaited book?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2