Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M-42 German Helmet *help*

Article about: So I’m thinking about buying this M42 German helmet trying to start my collection and it was said to be original is that true or is it a reproduction.? Thank you for any answers.

Default M-42 German Helmet *help*

So I’m thinking about buying this M42 German helmet trying to start my collection and it was said to be original is that true or is it a reproduction.? Thank you for any answers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M-42 German Helmet *help*   M-42 German Helmet *help*  

M-42 German Helmet *help*   M-42 German Helmet *help*  

M-42 German Helmet *help*   M-42 German Helmet *help*  

M-42 German Helmet *help*  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M-42 German Helmet *help*
    P
    Many

Hello and welcome to the forum!
    I would pass on this helmet. It has a post war liner, and I doubt the sand camo is original.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

MAP
    ?

Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately I can't see any of the photos. But as Ralph can and he views it as being messed with....I think that is all you need to hear.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Visible now Michael.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

MAP
    ?

Thanks Ralph.

Nothing good here.

- Liner as Ralph notes is not correct. It is for a civil helmet (could be wartime but I think it is probably post war but either way it is totally wrong for this helmet)
    - Complete interior of the shell is painted the tan. Always a red flag
    - Exterior concrete camo is fake as well.
    - Further, although it is an odd "tan" color that would raise concerns, I have a three tone M42 concrete camo with the same (or very similar) color. See link below
    - Lastly, while can't be certain from these photos, I'm not even sure if the split pins are real.

M42 Luft Textured camo

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

MAP
    ?

You did well by asking first. Too often new members (and existing members - why I don't know), buy first and then ask questions.

Stick around, follow the threads, study, study and study some more and in time you will be able to spot the easy fakes fairly quickly. Always post before you buy. 99.99% of helmet are not so rare that you can not pass on it before verification. Millions were made.

If you are really serious, I would recommend two books both by Ken Niewiarowicz.

1) "Germany's Combat Helmets 1939-1945: A modern Study". This is currently out of print but you can find them used (not cheap). It will teach you more than the basics
    2) "The Helmet Decals of the Third Reich". Another must have book. When buying helmets, you need to know a good from bad decal. Will take years to study and learn, but this book gets you well on your way quickly

If you want your "first" helmet, I would stick with a basic helmet. (9 out of 10 Camo or SS helmets are fake and as we saw just this week, good fakes can fool even seasoned experts). I would stick with the classified section or some of the top dealers. Stay away from ebay, craigslist, and most local shows. But no matter who you buy from, post it for authentication first.

Thank you, yes definetly I’ll ask you guys first from now on. This weekend I bout a police/fire German helmet at an auction by accident I just got caught up in the bidding and the moment lol but I’m going to post it on here to see if it’s real I was told at the auction it was but I’m sure they didn’t really check into it thank you all for your responses I will take your advice and grow from it

MAP
    ?

Most "general" auction houses don't have the expertise to really vet and authenticate WW2 items. You can get real lucky at auctions but you need to really know your stuff.