Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Municipal Police Bayonet ( Weimar Cut Down )

Article about: Hi All I’ve just managed to add this to my collection of Edged Weapons .... it’s my first Bayonet and I think it was worth the wait .... Comments 👍

There is the possibility that post war as the Police, (now working with the Allies) were de-nazified, the badge was removed from the side arm. Then at some later date acquired by a collector and a replacement, though not entirely correct, refitted to the grip plate. One of the mysteries often encountered in this hobby, but still a very nice example.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Municipal Police Bayonet ( Weimar Cut Down )
    P
    Many

Hi Anderson ... This may very well be the case ... No one will ever know, only the person who originally did it ... Period or Not.
    We tend to judge everything by old photos and snippets of info from whatever’s available to use as a reference.
    But not all pieces are what they supposedly meant to be.
    Some pieces altered as personal preference or comfort.

Forgot to add ... I have a photo of more or less exactly the same Bayonet made by ACS and using a solid Nickel Silver Badge with the wider wings ... Unfortunately I can’t post on the Forum for comments!!

[QUOTE=Stevade;1880562]Forgot to add ... I have a photo of more or less exactly the same Bayonet made by ACS and using a solid Nickel Silver Badge with the wider wings ... Unfortunately I can’t post on the Forum for comments!!
    There is a picture of 3 Weimar Bayonets with the Clamshells still in tact on Page 170 Volume 1 Johnsons Collecting the Edged Weapons of the Third Reich.. the Bayonet on the r/h side has quite small rivets and it clearly shows a solid style Police Badge.
    Also seen on Page 184 and Page 232 Volume 4.

I just looked at Johnson's volume 1, page 170. The bayonet on the right appears to be a short length clamshell with the wide-winged grip emblem, which would be consistent with a 3R produced item.

Although we tend to think clamshells were all removed in the 3R but the fact is they were available as special orders we'll into the 3R. I would respectfully disagree that the pictured item has the solid shield type emblem.

An excellent reference for such things would be Ron Weinand & Gary Walker's 1986 work "German Clamshells & Other Bayonets". There are some decent explanations contained therein as well as numerous pictures of the grip emblem variations.

For examples of the solid type emblem, see pages 106-107 & 109, on examples produced by Puma. They can also be found occasionally on late produced pieces by Clemen & Jung & Carl Julius Krebs. I have previously owned one by C&J & now own an example by CJ Krebs. All known period examples have aluminum hilts & were 3R produced items.

Thanks for the reply BillyG ..... Could it be that the original owner of this bayonet accidentally snapped off the insignia from the handle !! After all they were only aluminium and stick out quite proud of the grip, he then had no other option than to re-affix whatever was available at the time ... maybe it was late 40’s.
    I have sent lots of detail pictures to Tom Johnson for his opinion. His opinion is it looks perfectly acceptable as Police grip eagles were both solid and open background... Quote... I do not see a thing wrong with the Bayonet of yours, and I think it appears to be in good shape.
    Is this an item you are prepared to sell? If so, let us know what your asking price would be,as we would be interested.
    It does look like there’s mixed opinions on this ... however it looks like we are going to agree to disagree on this one .... enough said I think.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3