Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Police Bayonet - Short Version by Eickhorn

Article about: Picked this up today to go with my long Alcoso Police Bayonet. A been there Short Police Rig complete with the frog and police troddel. Overall in very nice condition. Blade is still amazing

?

Well Kirk this one most have an aluminium based hilt, as the Eagle is not the standard Eickhorn eagle found on the nickel based police bayonets.
    I have seen this exact same one a couple of times on the short aluminium based WKC police bayo's with the later Knights head WKC logo with stamped WKC below.
    They have steel rivets to hold the gripplates, just like yours.
    Interesting to see that both Eickhorn & WKC sold the same lightweight alu based short bayo's

Its a lovely one Kirk and for sure a hard one to find!
    Congratz!

Ger

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Police Bayonet - Short Version by Eickhorn
    P
    Many

I have been intrigued why there are long and short Bayos.
    My thoughts on the short version would be less intrusive and more for dress ..not as long when sitting down hitting chairs or swinging alot...but more created for the walking out uniform with less weight.

The bayo collectors always enjoy both short and long with the stag grips...both are works of art...maybe the next one Kirk could be its taller brother?
    Nice find my friend.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Nice police bayo, first time I see this version. These are mine, standard version. Note that the emblem on the bayonet below is the copper type emblems used on Polizei swords
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Police Bayonet - Short Version by Eickhorn   Police Bayonet - Short Version by Eickhorn  

Nice "Short cut" as I call them. Really nice & yes, most difficult to find. Under appreciated item that I was always attracted to.

?

Quote by Larry C View Post
    I have been intrigued why there are long and short Bayos.
    My thoughts on the short version would be less intrusive and more for dress ..not as long when sitting down hitting chairs or swinging alot...but more created for the walking out uniform with less weight.

The bayo collectors always enjoy both short and long with the stag grips...both are works of art...maybe the next one Kirk could be its taller brother?
    Nice find my friend.

Regards Larry
    Thanks Braddha Larry,

Here are pics of my long model. They seem to be playing nice together.

"It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

Rossi,

That's a very nice Polizei bayonet you've added to your collection, it contrasts well next to your Alcoso. They are different in a number of ways which is why I've always loved Polizei bayonets, there are so many variants & nuances.

It is not common to find a Polizei bayonet with the Eickhorn '35-'41 mark. Most Eickhorn Polizei bayonets will show the '33-'34 double oval mark, these earlier bayonets are generally well made, very heavy in hand & stand the test of time rather well. The one just posted is somewhat different in a number of ways, primarily in terms of construction & size.

This '35-'41 bayonet has an aluminum hilt so it is much lighter than its earlier counterparts which were often brass-based & silvered over. The early bayonets that we often see were usually made during the Weimar period, had clamshell devices beneath the crossguard, originally had grip emblems with a Weimar star & a 17" blade. Sometime after the consolidation of the Polizei forces (post-1936 I believe), the existing bayonets were returned to the armorers to have the blades shortened from 17" to 13", the clamshells removed & grips shortened. The grip emblems were also swapped out for the new 3R eagle with oakleaf wreath. The shortened blades will typically show the blood groove extending to the tip, which was not originally the case.

It's interesting to note that the rivets have oxidation on them. I sold an Eickhorn Polizei bayonet very similar to this one some years back & the buyer was concerned about the rivets, believing that 3R bayonets all had aluminum rivets that were rust resistant. This is something I've seen previously as well with later production fire bayonets, also made by Eickhorn with the same '35-'41 mark.

Bayonets manufactured during the 3R will generally not exhibit a cut-down blade although I'm sure some exist. You can see the difference in hilt metal & the shorter blade with a blood groove not going all the way to the tip. These bayonets are scarcer than the early ones & there are some nice variants included in their ranks.

Grip emblems can vary a little. The earlier bayonets typically had aluminum "stubby-winged" type eagle. 3R produced bayonets usually show the "wide-winged" type eagle, which is the type on Rossi's Eickhorn. This is the one I like to see on a mid-production period bayonet. There is a later type which is also aluminum. It is a solid shield-type & is only seen on a few makers on late-production period items. Rarely one will find a Feuerschutzpolizei bayonet with a different grip emblem. This is a short model KS98 (with or without sawback) that has an unplated hilt & copper sword style grip emblem. These are quite rare & most standard bayonet examples that have the copper type emblem are probably replacements for bayonets that were denazified. Grip emblems were not specific to one manufacturer or another but more indicative of the time period the bayonet was made.

Cut-down bayonets will very often show the old markings of Polizei designation (Municipal, Rural, Polizeischule, Kriminialpolizei or some still unknown units), specific city of use, administrative district & individual weapon number. People have often asked if these bayonets are traceable but I don't believe anyone has found a way to do so. 3R produced Polizei bayonets will only occasionally show a unit marking of any type & most times it is merely an inventory number. It has been thought that the 3R Polizei were less interested in such things but some of the shorter bayonets were unmarked by issue numbers due to the fact they were private purchase weapons & remained the property of the individual officer.

I believe blade length was typically 13" for a standard rank Polizeimann. Occasionally we see shorter bayonet blades & I've been told these were for higher ranking personnel. The same is true for fire bayonets with the shorter blades being reserved for those of higher rank. Hope this helps.

Please post any other examples, I love to see what's out there.

?

Outstanding learning post by Billy.

Makes me want to buy a couple variant police bayos.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2