Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Police dagger help needed

Article about: Hello everyone, I have the opportunity to get this police dagger but I need your help with the authenticity and value of it. I know its rough and the pictures are crappy but they are all I h

Quote by M.E.E. View Post
    There are a lot of issues with this, it has a scabbard that is a dagger scabbard not a bayonet scabbard, the eagle is inset into the handle instead of above the handle. The blade isn't the standard bayonet design more like a fighting knife and it has phillips screws in the handle, the cross guard looks wrong. The swastika on the blade, that wkc, the head looks wrong and the whole thing looks really narrow. Not much good about this one. Also just noticed the eagle is on the wrong side for either a dagger or a bayonet.
    Yep, glad to see you have already made your mind up to leave this one. I just saw this thread but I concur wholeheartedly with the above and other negative comments. This is an apalling piece of trash made by a faker with only a vague idea of what the real thing looks like.

Something like this;

Police dagger help neededPolice dagger help neededPolice dagger help needed

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Police dagger help needed
    P
    Many

?

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    Yep, glad to see you have already made your mind up to leave this one. I just saw this thread but I concur wholeheartedly with the above and other negative comments. This is an apalling piece of trash made by a faker with only a vague idea of what the real thing looks like.

Something like this;

Regards

Mark
    Thanks for your comment and input. The pictures you posted really show how bad the fake looks in comparison. That is a great looking dagger in beautiful condition! I think these are really cool and very underrated imo.

?

I thought since you had a slotted police I would add my non slotted version. These are very nice blades.

Yes, the more the merrier to reinforce the illustration.
    To add to the explanation the polizei bayonet is actually quite a diverse item in its' own right. It was really a "badge of office" rather than a sidearm and there were early versions before the war / TR most of which originated from the Prussian Police. The ones most collectors recognise as "mainstream" TR "Polizei seitengewehr" were, in the first instance modified and cut down existing pieces that had originally been made to fit on rifles during earlier wars. These had new emblems fitted to the staghorn grips (which is why the rivets which should be aluminium, appear larger than expected), the blades shortened and plated. The bayonet release button remained as removal was a waste of effort and the slot for the bayonet boss was filled with a piece of felt, red for municipal and green for rural police. I should mention here that the leather and frog for the municipal police was balck and for the rural police it was brown.

The later "purpose made" police bayonets had no slot for the bayonet boss or a release button as they were not intended to be mounted on a rifle.

A good sign with all these is the presence of "tap tap" mark; multiple small indentations on the back of the hilt caused by "plod" using his bayonet as a hammer to knock in nails of posters and proclamations.

I agree these are very striking and to me worthy of a place in any TR collection never mind an edged weapon collection!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2