Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Police side arm makers, Weimar/Third Reich

Article about: A thread to simply list the known makers of the Polizei side arm (in bayonet style) of the Weimar/Third Reich era. During the Weimar republic period up to early Third Reich the side arm had

?

Here is my E. & F. Hörster, I included a picture of the handle grip since this maker had a interesting little quirk where they didn't put their rivets in line but always had the top one closer to the left side (if looking at the front) of the handle. I have not seen a Hörster police without this rivet placement.

Police side arm makers, Weimar/Third ReichPolice side arm makers, Weimar/Third ReichPolice side arm makers, Weimar/Third Reich

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Police side arm makers, Weimar/Third Reich
    P
    Many

Alexander Coppel trade mark used to 1936

These Coppel trade marks were used on all the Weimar era Police side arms, until 1936. During 1936 the Nazis "aryanized" the company, which was an old Jewish family business. The Coppel name was dropped and "Alcoso" introduced. The post 1936 made side arms will therefore have Alcoso in combination with the ACS scales and Solingen. Alcoso marked blades should also be made 13 inch length and not show signs of been cut down.

Police side arm makers, Weimar/Third ReichPolice side arm makers, Weimar/Third ReichPolice side arm makers, Weimar/Third Reich

Weyersburg Kirschbaum & Cie AG was the amalgamation of two famous old Solingen companies in 1883. Initially they used both company logos, the King's head and the Knight's helmet together. But the King was dropped from the logo sometime after WW1. So early Weimar republic Police side arms will have the full company name on one side of the ricasso and the Knight's helmet logo on the other side.

In 1930 the company rebranded itself as WKC Stahl und Eisenwarenfabrik, and continued to use the Knight's helmet logo, now with "WKC" underneath on the ricasso. So the combination of helmet and WKC indicates a post 1930 manufacture date.

Carl Eickhorn of Solingen between 1906 and 1942 used six variations of it's famous squirrel logo trademark on the ricasso of bladed. For the Police side arms we see four styles are relevant.

1) the 1921-30 version, left facing squirrel inside single oval, "C.E" under squirrel and inside oval

2) the 1930-33 version, left looking squirrel inside a double oval, "C.E" under squirrel, "Carl Eickhorn-Solingen" around the squirrel.

3) the 1933-35 version, similar to number 2, but no "C.E" under squirrel. Smaller ovals.

4) the 1935-41 version, no ovals and squirrel holds a sword, bordered by "Eickhorn Solingen" or "Original Eickhorn Solingen"

Police side arm makers, Weimar/Third ReichPolice side arm makers, Weimar/Third ReichPolice side arm makers, Weimar/Third ReichPolice side arm makers, Weimar/Third ReichPolice side arm makers, Weimar/Third Reich

Thanks to Rossi for use of photo of late Eickhorn logo from his Police sidearm.

A very interesting selection of TM's. RE: As a point of reference, the maker trademarks used on German Police bayonets by Coppel pre-1936 for the S.84/98 types they used an ACS/Scales TM. It was also used after 1938 with one minor change before it was later changed to an AWS/scales type of TM. A 1938 dated Police manual showing the wood gripped S.84/98 and the S.98/05 bayonets. And the standard and clamshell types, as well as the (arguably ersatz) P.S.S. bayonets that could have whatever was available leftover from WW I. Best Regards, Fred

A long required thread, thanks very much for starting it.

I am also pleased to see everyone who is interested in these lovely edged weapons

I'd like to add FW Höller & Ewald Cleff to the list. Although I don't own a Cleff example yet, I do own a pair of Höllers. Both are 3R produced with aluminum hilts & uncut blades. One of these also has a period triple etched dedication. FW Höller did produce the Weimar bayonets as well, all Höller examples of the Polizei bayonet are fairly scarce.

Billy could you upload some closeup photos of the Holler trademark for this thread. Thanks.

I can't edit post #1 so addition to list of maker;

13) Ewald Cleff

Hi Anderson,

I must have looked swiftly & missed Holler on your list, sorry. My laptop with my files is unavailable but I will find examples of the ones I have as well as the earlier Weimar version. I think I also have a shot of the Ewald Cleff mark as well.

One that I did forget to mention was E. Pack. I've owned several of these & Pack had a distinct hilt shape subtly different from the others, the beak is curved downward more than the other makers. I own a Pack clamshell & will post that one too.

Sorry to take so long to respond with pictures on this informative thread. Here are a few pictures of Polizei bayonets by FW Holler. Both are aluminum hilted and produced within the 3R although FW Holler did produce some examples of Weimar clamshell bayonets which would show heavier hilts & often have cut-down blades.

The slotted hilt example has an uncut 13" blade & the rig is as it came from the war complete with salty frog & knot.

The unslotted example has a shorter officer length blade which is triple etched. It has been examined at the MAX a number of years ago & was blessed by several notable dealers whom I would consider knowledgeable in the field of these items. Although there are MANY fakes of this pattern on the market, several period examples appear in old references, Thomas Johnson's original "Collecting" series as well as Frederick Stephens' works & possibly John Algolia's early books. This one came from a trunk of an old lady in Quebec & was never in a collection. Even from poor pics, the originality of the etch was apparent. Interestingly, the rivets and stag between the two Holler examples I own are remarkably similar.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Police side arm makers, Weimar/Third Reich   Police side arm makers, Weimar/Third Reich  

Police side arm makers, Weimar/Third Reich  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast