MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1936 Olympics Tourist Photo Album

Article about: Hello folks. This was a nice little surprise from one of my eBay sources. A pocket photo album, full of photographs taken during the 1936 Berlin Olympics. They appear to all have been taken

Default 1936 Olympics Tourist Photo Album

Hello folks.

This was a nice little surprise from one of my eBay sources. A pocket photo album, full of photographs taken during the 1936 Berlin Olympics. They appear to all have been taken around the Olympiapark, with a few photos of landmarks including the Brandenburg Gate, Altes Museum and Berlin Cathedral, as well as a few others I cannot identify, all decorated copiously in NSDAP flags.

These appear to be 'private' photographs, taken by a tourist or resident rather than an official photographer. As such, I believe these are unique, and I find that inexplicably exciting. I purchased this on a whim, sure it was nothing more than an ordinary photo album. It wasn't until I sat down and studied each photograph in detail that I realised what they represented.

Collectibles related to the 1936 summer Olympics are often expensive, but I purchased this for the modest sum of £50. A decent amount of history for the price!

I've photographed each page as well as I could, to let the details of each picture speak for themselves. There are pencil descriptions on the back of each photo, but I did not want to try removing them from their sleeves, as one is already torn, and I do not want to risk further damage.

1936 Olympics Tourist Photo Album1936 Olympics Tourist Photo Album1936 Olympics Tourist Photo Album1936 Olympics Tourist Photo Album1936 Olympics Tourist Photo Album1936 Olympics Tourist Photo Album1936 Olympics Tourist Photo Album1936 Olympics Tourist Photo Album1936 Olympics Tourist Photo Album1936 Olympics Tourist Photo Album1936 Olympics Tourist Photo Album1936 Olympics Tourist Photo Album1936 Olympics Tourist Photo Album1936 Olympics Tourist Photo Album1936 Olympics Tourist Photo Album

Regards, B.B.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1936 Olympics Tourist Photo Album
    P
    Many

Wow!!
    Photos 5 and 10 is the Neu Wache (in Unter den Linden)
    Great finding BB

Quote by TABSTABS1964 View Post
    Wow!!
    Photos 5 and 10 is the Neu Wache
    Great finding BB
    The more time I spend looking at these photos, the luckier I feel. Who says eBay never turns up anything worthwhile!

B.B.

Some great pictures there.. I remember being in the Olympic Stadium several times while in Berlin..

Brings back memories.. The Neu Wach was in East Berlin at the time

Smitty

?

Nice photo album, those banners / flags are massive compared to the guy standing there..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1936 Olympics Tourist Photo Album  
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

A great find.

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    Some great pictures there.. I remember being in the Olympic Stadium several times while in Berlin..

Brings back memories.. The Neu Wach was in East Berlin at the time

Smitty
    Yes indeed!
    What a cracking find!

The British Sector and Berlin Inf Bde HQ was at the Reichssportfeld and I was stationed there about the same time as Smitty was in the US Sector.

As stated the pics are from all over the city but pic 11 in particular is of the Maifeld where the (British) Queens Birthday Parade was held each year. The single slender tower in the background is the Glockenturm (Belltower).

Pic 12 is of course the Olympischestadion itself and I have happy memories of running on the track there at the end of the Berlin 25km road race which also started on Olympischeplatz at the front of the stadium. The last kilometer or so was along Jesse Owens Allee too

Happy days!

Thanks for the memories

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 01-17-2020 at 10:05 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Mark, Smitty. For what years did you serve in the German Federal Republic and in Berlin?

Quote by TABSTABS1964 View Post
    Mark, Smitty. For what years did you serve in the German Federal Republic and in Berlin?
    Dortmund 1983 - 85

Berlin 1987 -90

Fallingbostel (Near Soltau/ Bergen/ Celle) 1990 - 94

Rheindahlen (Moenchengladbach) 1994 - 99.

Happy days

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

With the permission of B.B. Knowing that Mark and Smitty were destined in Berlin during their military career, (wow Mark, you must speak very good German, after so many service in Germany) Well, as I say, I remembered that I have a small collection of commemorative phone cards, of 50 years of the German Federal Republic.
    I like them very much and they are very representative of the great historical events of that half century.
    I think this is very suitable. All of them have an image on the front and another on the back. I just scanned it and I would like to share it in the forum.
    It was a historic moment and I imagine a very special parade.

Cheers
    Santi

Again, great album you have achieved B.B.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast