Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

1940 Rommel lithograph

Article about: I have scoured the internet and have looked at hundreds of Rommel prints but cannot find any information on this one. I have not been able to locate another like it. It is dated 1940. Has an

Default 1940 Rommel lithograph

I have scoured the internet and have looked at hundreds of Rommel prints but cannot find any information on this one. I have not been able to locate another like it. It is dated 1940. Has anyone seen this before?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1940 Rommel lithograph   1940 Rommel lithograph  

1940 Rommel lithograph  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1940 Rommel lithograph
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: 1940 Rommel lithograph

The printed date may not be the date of the print.
    Take a 10 power magnifying glass and look very closely at the image if you see little dots it is a modern photo print, if not it may be a lithograph. The next step is to determine whether it is a stone litho or a commercial metal plate litho. The combination of color of the print leads me to believe that it is a commercial plate print. So now we need to determine if it is lithography or intaglio printing
    It is my opinion that it is a modern print of Rommel probably from a painting or the photograph of a painting. The process is called photogravure. This process is where the photo is reproduced on multiple intaglio printing plates by acid etching each plate being inked with a different color to achieve the look of a painting. A print made this way will have a velvety satin like finish.
    By the way your photos are terrible from now on take the image out of the frame to photograph. Since it is not signed in pencil and numbered I do not believe this print to be an art print.
    From the information above you can make your own decision as to which type of print it is.

Steve Ray

I have certainly seen this image before.

Cheers, Ade.

nice print pre 1945 or after i would still buy it, its a great poster/print of him