Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

1942 Feldpost with a photo!

Article about: Hi guys, Just got my second Feldpost. Dated 02 August 1942. It is a 2 page document, and thankfully appears to be written in plain German . It is addressed to Fraulein Ilse V.....? I've pick

?

Default 1942 Feldpost with a photo!

Hi guys,

Just got my second Feldpost. Dated 02 August 1942.

It is a 2 page document, and thankfully appears to be written in plain German . It is addressed to Fraulein Ilse V.....?

I've picked out a few common words, Ich, Ist, Das, Die and even a Deutschland, but I haven't had a chance to go over it properly yet.

A bonus is the included undated photograph, which appears to show a group of soldiers at rest. I get the idea that this might be some kind of 'bootcamp', rather than in the field. There is an MG34 at the extreme left, and I even spied out a truck in the background.

The feldpost number is 27253, any help researching what it relates to, and where the sender might have been at the time would be greatly appreciated

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1942 Feldpost with a photo!
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: 1942 Feldpost with a photo!

(Mobilmachung-1.1.1940) 6. Kompanie Infanterie-Regiment 167,

(2.1.1940-27.4.1940) gestrichen, wurde Fp.Nr. 08179 C,

(28.4.1940-14.9.1940) Geräte-Kolonne d. Luftnachrichten-Abteilung Flieger-Division 7,

(25.9.1940-15.2.1941) Geräte-Kolonne Luftnachrichten-Abteilung 41,

(10.2.1943-23.8.1943) Geräte-Kolonne Luftwaffen-Korps-Nachrichten-Abteilung 1,

(6.4.1944-9.11.1944) 26.5.1944 gestrichen.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Cheers Paul,

Hmm, best I can sort of come up with is Luftwaffe intelligence regiment 41? If my understanding is even remotely correct, I wonder if the photo is unrelated...can't imagine desk jockeys needing weapons training

?

Nachrichten is signals , Geräte is equiptment i belive in this sense so it's Equiptment Column of varous Air Signals Detachments !!

- - Updated - -

Every soldier has weapons training including signals and intelligence , even REMF's might have to fight , not that sigs or int are necessarily Remfs !!

The photo doesn't look like Luftwaffe troops.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

The first sentence reads: "Outside it snows and snows without interruption"...It's dated in April, not August however...

?

Thanks bigmac, I have Prussian heritage, but my German leaves much to be desired

Paul, yes I can't see eagles on their caps either. Hmm, an interesting one. I purchased it off a guy in Zagreb, perhaps the photo got mixed with the letter sometime in the last 70 years. A pity there is no description on the back.

This is actually a letter well worth reading, as it gives us quite a good and probably typical insight into the feelings of a German frontline soldier on the Eastern Front. He writes about longing to be at home with his loved ones, mentions his worries about the uncertain things that lie ahead and speaks of the hardships on deployment. Sadly, the ideology of the day creeps in as well with some troubling comments about the Russian population, although he refuses to sink to the depths of robbing them. Still, he is grateful that others are able to do so.

Alright, here's what it says:

"Holy Thursday, 1942

My dearest Ilse!

Outside, it is storming and snowing incessantly. It does not look like Easter at all out there. But I believe that a green Easter is a great rarity in Russia. Comrades who had been on leave to Germany tell us that they have the most beautiful spring weather at home. How beautiful it would be now to wander through the beautiful Duisburg Forest with you and to admire nature's awakening. How we had looked forward to the Easter days. I had hoped to the last to be able to spend Easter with you at home or at Brunswick. This was not how things turned out to be. Now my parents, too, have to spend Easter all alone. The family is scattered all over. I don't think my grandmother will be at Duisburg, either. It would be better for her to spend some more time at Sigmaringen anyway. For now comes the time when she will be able to recover down there. And how will you spend the Easter days? Will you think of me once in a while? Our thoughts will be wandering to and fro. If only we have mutual trust in one another, there shall always be great joy within us that will make everything feel that much easier.
    Unfortunately, though, my Easter greetings are going to reach you belatedly. It is not my fault, though. Mailing is a bit of an issue here. Ever since the company had been moved forward, we have been unable to post things. We just have to rely on the good will of our neighboring companies. By now, he have rather made ourselves at home here. We get
    [...] on a daily basis. [The last line of page 1 is missing in the scan.] [...] trade. Tobacco products are very much in demand. Money will not buy you anything. I will be able to save up a lot. We have made ourselves as comfortably as possible. Surely better and more comfortable than the Russians got. I think you ladies would be disgusted if you could see these dwellings. It is simply beneath human dignity. Ragged and filthy is how these people wander around. Not much to be seen in the way of culture. The rural population is completely impoverished. Strictly speaking, it is not fair that we take, or more precisely, buy from them what they have left. But, one keeps asking oneself: How would these hordes have treated us had they invaded Germany? Humanity is out of place anyway. One instantly sees the results if one treats them a bit friendly for once: They immediately turn insolent. But not everyone has it in them to act brutally. What we organize for ourselves, we certainly need to feed our hungry stomachs. Those who are able to act with their pistol in hand without giving it a second thought can be sure to get something. I am not suited for that at all. But I am still glad that some men from our band can do it. For our rations are very stingy. He have been able to find ourselves some chickens for Easter. Thus, we are able to save us the scheduled "bog-standard stew" type of chow for another day. While we are still here, we can and will make those days as pleasant as possible for us. How things are going to be for us when we are in action is still one great unkwown for us.
    Now I would like to come to an end. I wish you and your loved ones back home a very joyful and comfortable Easter Festival and remain with the best greetings, your

[signed]"
    Last edited by HPL2008; 07-19-2012 at 06:40 PM.

?

Thanks so much for your time and effort HPL, it is very appreciated . As a token of thanks I bought a club membership.

I guess our author was reflecting on what he saw around him but it doesn't take that much of a leap of logic to understand that people in remote areas, especially those fleeing from your invading army are going to be pretty ragged. I wonder how long he survived on the Ostfront.

At any rate, it is a special piece of history.