Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

1943 Latvian Legion Feldpost

Article about: I recently acquired this Latvian SS Feldpost online. It's my first SS item and I'm open to opinions. However my only problem with it is that I am unable to translate Latvian and I was wonder

Default 1943 Latvian Legion Feldpost

I recently acquired this Latvian SS Feldpost online. It's my first SS item and I'm open to opinions. However my only problem with it is that I am unable to translate Latvian and I was wondering if anyone would be able to translate it. It would be greatly appreciated.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1943 Latvian Legion Feldpost   1943 Latvian Legion Feldpost  

1943 Latvian Legion Feldpost   1943 Latvian Legion Feldpost  

1943 Latvian Legion Feldpost  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1943 Latvian Legion Feldpost
    P
    Many

Default Re: 1943 Latvian Legion Feldpost

2nd picture: "He is greeting his family at home"
    I recieved your letter at the evening of the 5th of July.But since its the evening here i didnt have the time to respond. Generally nothing new has happened to us here. We are living and waiting to see what happens. Some from our company have already "went away", you will understand that without telling. From the forest :unreadable: the whole 7th company, and soon the others will experience the same.We dont know how long will we be here. But i think it wont be long. I cant get a vacation because no one is allowed do go on one. Its a possibility that i'll have to go East. We dont worry about that.
    3rd picture:
    The sooner hell starts the sooner it ends. Otherwise nothing else has happened. In the Midsummer celebration we gave our solemn oath, there were german sirs who arrived with an aeroplane. They landed on the clover field. The landing was great, but they couldnt lift off, as soon as it rose, it started to fall down and they crashed. The passengers were alive because they werent that high. In the evening of the Midsummer celebration there was a soldier party. The things that happened there were written in the newspaper so i wont write it all down again. It wasnt that good, but if you add something in the story, it sounds pretty good. The weather here mostly is clear. There is almost no rain, some days it looks like its going to rain but it doesnt. It isnt as warm here as where you are. I'll stop writing because i dont have anything to write about.
    4th picture:
    The legionaries are riding every day. I only know one of them. he is Dzenis from :cant read:.Send further letters to this address. In no case tell your companies number.
    With a loving greeting, Pēteris (Latvian name)
    From the S.S. Legion Paplakas soldier camp.
    5th picture:
    We havent recieved any letters sent to the old fieldpost. They gave out a different number but the letters wont come to that either. This private address is allowed so send them to this address.

Here you go. I am a Latvian my self and i must say, our sayings are hard to translate, so there might be some simplifications.
    Cheers!

?

The date suggests the unit was the Latvian SS Legion shortly prior to it being used to form the 15th Waffen Grenadier Division der SS ( Lettisches No 1 ) , is there a Feldpost number ?
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by Paul E View Post
    The date suggests the unit was the Latvian SS Legion shortly prior to it being used to form the 15th Waffen Grenadier Division der SS ( Lettisches No 1 ) , is there a Feldpost number ?
    In the first picture you can see that in the top right corner it either says SS Feldpost or 44 Feldpost.
    Since it looks like 2 thunderbolts it must be SS.

?

That only shows that the letter is going via the SS Feldpost system , the actual Feldpost number will identify the unit that the letter is being sent from !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thank you so much I am completely speechless. Would the number on the envelope or letter?

Hi, the Feldpost number is shown on the eagle ink stamp and is correct:

(2.1.1940-27.4.1940) Reserve-Flakmesszug 274,

(30.7.1941-28.2.1942) Flak-Auswertezug 274,

(1.3.1942-7.9.1942) gestrichen,

(12.3.1943-7.9.1943) Regimentsstab u. Stabskompanie SS-Freiwilligen-Regiment 1 Lett. SS-Freiwilligen-Legion,

(8.9.1943-22.4.1944) 2.3.1944 Regimentsstab u. Stabskompanie Freiwilligen-Grenadier-Regiment 32 (15. SS-Division),

(23.4.1944-24.11.1944) 8.9.1944 Regimentsstab u. Stabskompanie Waffen-Grenadier-Regiment 32 (15. SS-Division).

Hope this helps?

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Well done Ade i couldn't make out the first 2 numbers

1st July 1916

Thanks so much for the help.

From the forest :unreadable: the whole 7th company, and soon the others will experience the same
    i may add my little asistance:-From forest kazerne........