Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Adding religion remark onto a visa?

Article about: Hello, This is rather strange, but the Romanian visa has a remark that proof of the holder being Catholic has been shown. Would this be done to issue a visa and prove that the holder was not

Default Adding religion remark onto a visa?

Hello,

This is rather strange, but the Romanian visa has a remark that proof of the holder being Catholic has been shown.

Would this be done to issue a visa and prove that the holder was not Jewish?

Really puzzling...

Neil
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Adding religion remark onto a visa?   Adding religion remark onto a visa?  

Adding religion remark onto a visa?  
    Attached Images Attached Images Adding religion remark onto a visa? 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Adding religion remark onto a visa?
    P
    Many

I do not belive it was the case. It was very common to mark religion in all kind of documents in 1930-ies. Why - who knows. Officials have always been interested in info what is not really their business. In these times almost every person had some kind of religion.

?

I have no certain knowledge, but I think your surmise may be correct. I see that the date was in 1939, at that time there would have been many Jewish refugees trying to escape from Nazi Germany and Rumania had brought into law its own anti-Jewish policies in the later 1930s, which were intended to exclude Jews from citizenship. After 1941 terrible atrocities were carried out by the Rumanians against their Jewish minority.

Regards, Philip

Thanks for the replies.
    The reason that I suspect it to be the case because I have never seen such a clause added into a passport like this before; only examples are the J stamped inside German passports from the end of 1938 to 1941.
    The holder was using his French passport, so having that clause added into it is strange, but still suspicious...