Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

any one know what this is for

Article about: The most basic of concentration camp related scrip, shown below are several examples from KZ Holleischen, one of the sub-camps of KZ Flossenburg. These notes were not known about for many ye

Default any one know what this is for

any one know what this is forany one know what this is forany one know what this is forany one know what this is forany one know what this is forany one know what this is forany one know what this is forany one know what this is forGot this a few years ago,just found it in a drawer,the old chap i got it of said it was used in the prison camps , any ideas.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture any one know what this is for  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement any one know what this is for
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: any one know what this is for

It is POW camp money.

The top line starts with Kreigsgefangenen lagergeld, which means roughly POW camp money.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

“Lagergeld”, PoW camp money that circulated in the camps from 1939 until being withdrawn in 1944

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

And what would they buy?

In 1943, an American General Order (No. 522) directed payment of funds to German Officers and enlisted men being held by the Americans, whether the prisoners worked or not. As a reciprocity measure, Germany declared tat all American PoW’s were to receive 7.50 Marks per month. The Americans were paid in “Lagergeld”, PoW camp money that circulated in the camps from 1939 until being withdrawn in 1944. Though intended to allow the purchase of items from very poorly stocked canteens, the money was mainly used for gambling purposes among the prisoners. It was only natural that some samples fell into the hands of Canadians from time to time.
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

I was under the impression that this was for the Jewish camps.My bad

?

Quote by operaman View Post
    I was under the impression that this was for the Jewish camps.My bad
    Please see the KZ banknote examples shown below, from Theresienstadt (Terezín). One must also remember that the format of banknotes varied from camp to camp. The Terezín banknotes shown are amongst the most detailed pieces that were produced during the war. Compare, for example, the quality of paper and the fine detail present to the poor standard notes used at other locations, i.e. the Lodz ghetto notes etc.

Regards,

Carl
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture any one know what this is for   any one know what this is for  

any one know what this is for   any one know what this is for  

any one know what this is for  

I think I remember that some of the engravers from the camps were used for the Nazi plot to counterfeit the U.S Dollar and the English Pound notes to undermine the economy,a lot of the money was found in a lake in Austria after the war.I think the notes were so perfect that if they had gotten into the economy it might have changed the course of the war.

Quote by operaman View Post
    I think I remember that some of the engravers from the camps were used for the Nazi plot to counterfeit the U.S Dollar and the English Pound notes to undermine the economy,a lot of the money was found in a lake in Austria after the war.I think the notes were so perfect that if they had gotten into the economy it might have changed the course of the war.
    Quite right

Operation Bernhard

Operation Bernhard / Andrew - Pam West British Bank Notes

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast