Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Arbeitsbuch - 3rd Pattern

Article about: Hello everyone. I need some advice from the experts here regarding an item most often disregarded or overlooked. I am talking about the late war 3rd Pattern Arbeitsbuch. Following this threa

?

Default Arbeitsbuch - 3rd Pattern

Hello everyone. I need some advice from the experts here regarding an item most often disregarded or overlooked.

I am talking about the late war 3rd Pattern Arbeitsbuch.

Following this thread in our forum posted by another member (https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/soldb...ype-rare-9531/) I hoped someone would talk about values, but then I saw that, talking about large lettering was much more interesting...lol.

My biggest doubt about this item is the price and its true value.

Offcourse I tried to resort to some shops online for an advice. Some of the owners of these virtual shops publicly call themselves as experts while selling or buying german militaria. I even tried a museum, but they, maybe honestly, couldn't value it over the photographs I sent them.

2 out of 3 of the online shops which I contacted (one in Australia and another in the UK) were both adamant, brief and very conclusive in their answers:

"Very common, usually those things sell for only 9 pounds" - Yes my friends, that was their answer after I explained them in detail of the differences between a 2nd and a 3rd type with vivid and high-res photographs.

I rarely see these type of booklets but I saw once a quite reputable german site selling one for just 30 euros and I thought maybe the seller is confused or didn't notice the difference of this with the 2nd type ones (the two versions are almost identical). Then I also saw a british site (single-owner) selling an ordinary one (which means it didn't belong to anyone known or the bearer had worked in some well-known company or whatever) for 200 euros!

So guys, what is the fair price you would pay for a complete normal, ordinary 3rd pattern Arbeitsbuch?

Thanks in advance for reading this.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Arbeitsbuch - 3rd Pattern
    P
    Many

The change from Gothic (which was in fact a wrong expression) into Latin (Antigua-
    Normalschrift) took place with orders from early January 1941.

The reason mainly was that foreigners hardly could read Gothic (letter Der Reichsminister
    und Chef der Reichskanzlei, for the moment at the Führer-Hauptquartier as Rk. 237 B)
    from January 13. The normal letters were now used. There is quite some correspondence
    about this.......The letter also mentions the change of letters for street-signs etc.

In the letter it was literally said as:
    "weil Ausländer, die die deutsche Sprache beherrschen, diese Schrift meist nicht lesen können
    und den deutschen Interessen im In- und Auslande schaden
    "!
    Last edited by Wilhelm Saris; 04-07-2016 at 04:56 PM.

?

Thank you Wilhelm Saris. What I read about these late war arbeitsbuch is that they were first issued in late 1943 or early 1944 and its lettering based on the Arbeitsbuch fuer Auslaender (picture below). But my main question is about the value of these items, not the history of why the lettering was changed. Anyway, it is always glad to learn a bit more. Thank you.

I never answer questions about prices or value.
    I am not interested in that, as I do not collect!

This forum is for historical purposes, not a free appraisal service. You will have to look at various dealer prices for an idea as to what the value is.

?

Quote by warbuff View Post
    This forum is for historical purposes, not a free appraisal service. You will have to look at various dealer prices for an idea as to what the value is.
    Ok, I understand, but as I already stated above you do not see much of these 3rd types on sale and when you ask about their value to online dealers they get confused and think it is a 2nd type which, along with the 1st type, are on sale in big numbers and are valued the same thing. (10 or 15 euros). I asked that british dealer, the one that is selling the card at 200 euros how he valued it and he said "because they're rare". But then I saw another one in a German site at 30 euros. Those where the only ones I saw on sale.

Are you referring to the regular Arbeitsbuch or the Arbeitsbuch fur Auslander?

?

Quote by warbuff View Post
    Are you referring to the regular Arbeitsbuch or the Arbeitsbuch fur Auslander?
    Not the Arbeitsbuch für Auslandër. The regular arbeitsbuch, but the late-war 3rd type. See the images at the first post to see the differences between the common 2nd type and the supposedely rare 3rd type.

?

For a better perspective, here's the regular Deutsche Arbeitsbuch and its variants: