MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

A Berlin soldiers story.

Article about: G'day fellas, I recently picked up this great little grouping, it all belongs to the same man, an Erich Walder(n) he was a soldier in the battle of Berlin. I have the mans dog tag, his soldb

Default A Berlin soldiers story.

G'day fellas,
    I recently picked up this great little grouping, it all belongs to the same man, an Erich Walder(n) he was a soldier in the battle of Berlin. I have the mans dog tag, his soldbuch and a couple of other documents. I reckon this group will go really well with my Berlin display! As I can't speak german I'd really appreciate any help with the translation of these documents, I'd love to know a bit about where this bloke was wounded, where he was fighting etc....as I'll be away for several weeks I may appear to be rude by not checking in here too often but I will be checking in as soon as I can. I will also be making a donation to the forum on behalf of any and all who help in the translation of these documents. Thanks in advance fellas, all help is appreciated,
    Cheers,
    Dave.A Berlin soldiers story.A Berlin soldiers story.A Berlin soldiers story.A Berlin soldiers story.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement A Berlin soldiers story.
    P
    Many

A Berlin soldiers story.A Berlin soldiers story.A Berlin soldiers story.

Every page with a marking is now pictured in this thread. Thanks for taking the time to look gents, cheers,

Dave.

?

That is an outstanding collection of items from one man.
    Do you know if he survived the war?
    Good luck on the translation. I will continue to follow this thread.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Thanks Phil, I reckon it's a great grouping from one man. To the best of my knowledge he did survive the war but I base this mostly on the fact that the dog tag is still complete and not broken. I certainly hope he did mate.

MAP
    ?

Not making a joke here but did you try Google Translate? I use it quite often. Easy on the typed part, but may take time/playing with the written part ......

If your interested I posted a Wehrpass in the Odds and End thread with a full translation into English (I did not do the translation). Some of the fields are similar so that may help (or may not....just thinking it might). The link is below.

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/art-d...nds-338401-23/

Good luck...the research is just as much fun as the purchasing for me........

Michael

Some of the entries in the equipment issue pages are interesting to read. He was issued a rifle, bayonet, rifle cleaning kit and some other bits and pieces as late as 18th April. It was beginning to completely fall apart around then, must have been a crazy few days for him at the end.

I think he was fighting in the area of Oberschöneweide.

"On April 16, 1945, during the Battle of Berlin (one of the last battles of World War II in Europe), before the German troops left Oberschöneweide, they tried to stop Red Army at the bridges "Kaisersteg" and "Treskowbrücke". On April 24 the zone was in the hands of the 8th Guards Army of the Soviet Union"

A Berlin soldiers story.A Berlin soldiers story.

Likely he was at one of those bridges?

Oberschöneweide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote by KradSpam View Post
    Some of the entries in the equipment issue pages are interesting to read. He was issued a rifle, bayonet, rifle cleaning kit and some other bits and pieces as late as 18th April. It was beginning to completely fall apart around then, must have been a crazy few days for him at the end.

I think he was fighting in the area of Oberschöneweide.

"On April 16, 1945, during the Battle of Berlin (one of the last battles of World War II in Europe), before the German troops left Oberschöneweide, they tried to stop Red Army at the bridges "Kaisersteg" and "Treskowbrücke". On April 24 the zone was in the hands of the 8th Guards Army of the Soviet Union"

Likely he was at one of those bridges?

Oberschöneweide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Thanks very much mate! Fascinating stuff, amazing to think that this bloke was right there in the thick of things!

Quote by MAP View Post
    Not making a joke here but did you try Google Translate? I use it quite often. Easy on the typed part, but may take time/playing with the written part ......

If your interested I posted a Wehrpass in the Odds and End thread with a full translation into English (I did not do the translation). Some of the fields are similar so that may help (or may not....just thinking it might). The link is below.

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/art-d...nds-338401-23/

Good luck...the research is just as much fun as the purchasing for me........

Michael
    Haven't tried google translate, I've tried that before and couldn't make head nor tail of it. Also flat out getting organised to go bush at the moment.

MAP
    ?

The tag with the red border and the Laufzettel tag appear that this gentleman was wounded. The first appears to be some type of hospital wound tag and the other is a "Chit" for the hospital. Have not been able to translate enough at this time to determine what wounds he had but he was given a tetanus shot. Hope this provides you with a bit more info. Have a nice trip

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast