Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Captured Photos of the early War Years in Europe - possibly unseen before

Article about: I have posted a grouping of photos that appear to show the early days of the war in Belgium and France - around May of 1940 etc. These were captured by my Uncle during his Service in the US

Default Captured Photos of the early War Years in Europe - possibly unseen before

I have posted a grouping of photos that appear to show the early days of the war in Belgium and France - around May of 1940 etc. These were captured by my Uncle during his Service in the US Army while fighting in Europe and I believe they are out of a German Soldiers' photo album. He fought in North Africa, Italy and then during the Invasion of Southern France and the Battle of Southern Germany. I discovered these photos shortly after he died so I was unable to get the story behind them. On the back of the pictures there are numerous pieces of black paper that the pictures were once glued to - so I am going to assume they came out of a photo album a German Soldier had and he removed them from this album as they were most likely easier to carry individually than a full photo album. I don't believe they are any sort of the "cigarette" card series as I have not encounters these before and there is no writing on the back of the photos, but I will be glad to hear what many in this forum have to say. They show the Maginot Line, the Blitz across Belgium and France, and the unit markings are clear on many of the vehicles so many of you may know what units are shown here, as I don't. One other interesting photo is a grave marker and the writing on it. Enjoy the photos and let me know your thoughts on them, locations, units etc. Thanks. Also - two new web urls I found which are of interest with WWII Photos:

Collection: Ghosts of history - Then & Now, combined photos

Ghosts of History
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Captured Photos of the early War Years in Europe - possibly unseen before   Captured Photos of the early War Years in Europe - possibly unseen before  

Captured Photos of the early War Years in Europe - possibly unseen before   Captured Photos of the early War Years in Europe - possibly unseen before  

Captured Photos of the early War Years in Europe - possibly unseen before   Captured Photos of the early War Years in Europe - possibly unseen before  

Captured Photos of the early War Years in Europe - possibly unseen before  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Captured Photos of the early War Years in Europe - possibly unseen before
    P
    Many

Very interesting photos, thanks for sharing!..

?

Ill second that.

Man, that small tower-like fortification must have rung like a gong with the shells hitting it!!

Bottom most abandoned tank looks like a Renault R35 (?)

Excellent photos, for sure. I especially like the "tank with a flat" and the huge blimp.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Interesting photos.

great pics all west front.

Both of the French tank pics are Renault R35s-small 2 crew infantry support types.

Yup…I don't think I would have wanted to be in that fortification….

Quote by Scout View Post
    Ill second that.

Man, that small tower-like fortification must have rung like a gong with the shells hitting it!!

Bottom most abandoned tank looks like a Renault R35 (?)