Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Crew man, Stug, Elefant, Jagdtiger

Article about: A very nice document grouping that I was fortunate to buy a few weeks ago to a soldier who was a Stug crew member in the Crimea, a Ferdinand/Elefant crew member at Kursk and a crew member in

Default Crew man, Stug, Elefant, Jagdtiger

A very nice document grouping that I was fortunate to buy a few weeks ago to a soldier who was a Stug crew member in the Crimea, a Ferdinand/Elefant crew member at Kursk and a crew member in a Jagdtiger where he met his fate fighting the Americans during operation Nordwind at Rimling near Bitche.
    The group comprises of a set of citations an Arbeitsbuch and a DAF book to Franz Schroder who initially served with StuG-Abt 197 in the Crimea and was heavily involved at the siege and taking of Sebastopol. For this he was awarded the Krim shield. On 1st April 1943 Stug-Abt 197 was re-designated as schwere Panzerjager-Abteilung 653 and fitted out with Ferdinand/Elefant tank destroyers. Schroder saw service with the Ferdinands on the Northern salient of Kursk and at Ponyri station for which actions he was awarded the EKII (citation signed by Lothar Rendulic, RK,EL, Schw and DKiG) and the PKA in silber (Citation signed by Georg Baumunk DKiG, Commander Pz,Jag,Abt 653). Schroder also received the Ost medal (signed by Ernst Freiherr von Jungenfield DKiG commander of Pz.Jag.Rgt 656 to which Pz.Jag.Abt 653 belonged to at Kursk).
    Members of 1 and 3 schwere Panzerjager-abteilung 653 began test driving the new Jagdtiger on 3rd September 1944 in Fallingbostel. In January 1945 Schroder was fighting American forces at the village of Rimling near Bitche in the Saar-pfalz area near the German border. All crew of Schroders Jagdtiger 134 were killed by a direct hit from a bazooka. Photo’s the remains of Jagdtiger 134 are well known and below I have added a first-hand account by Feldwebel Reinhold Schlabs describing the loss of Jagdtiger 134 and death of Franz Schroder. These photos and account are taken from the book ‘The combat history of German Heavy Anti-tank unit 653’ by KarlHeinz Munch.

Though I would assume his Soldbuch was destroyed in the explosion I wonder if his Wehrpass is out there somewhere.

Arial photo of two disabled Ferdinands near Ponyri

First hand account of events surrounding Franz Schroders death.

Remains of Jagdtiger 134 at Rimling.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Crew man, Stug, Elefant, Jagdtiger
    P
    Many

?

Very nice Robin
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Just returned from a drive to locate where Franz Schroder met his end and where he is buried. I had great success at Rimling where a farmer took me to the exact spot where as a child he played on the tanks remains. Having sat and ebjoyed the unseasonal warm weather I left Rimling for Niederbronn where I found Schroders grave alongside those of his crewmates.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Crew man, Stug, Elefant, Jagdtiger   Crew man, Stug, Elefant, Jagdtiger  

Last edited by robin morley; 10-17-2017 at 08:29 PM.

?

Hi,
    I have found two positions for the Jagdtiger wreck. One from US Army reports and another from the pictures of the wreck. I would like to know which of the positions is the right one to confirm how the Jagdtiger was destroyed. On the attached map I have drawn the two positions, point A or point B. Yes, they are more an area than a point, but the interesting thing is the general area.
    I hope someone could help.
    Best regards,
    Javier ToméCrew man, Stug, Elefant, Jagdtiger