Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Deutchland Erwacht... what is this book?

Article about: by Friedrich-Berthold There are surely more rare and equally interesting cigarette books of the early phases of the regime in their number. I collected these all when they were quite inexpen

Default Re: Deutchland Erwacht... what is this book?

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    There are surely more rare and equally interesting cigarette books of the early phases of the regime in their number. I collected these all when they were quite inexpensive by today's standards.

The real kicker is the Braeckow, Grossdeutschland im Weltgeschehen which was published from '39-'42 in 4 vols, and is actually quite rare.

to wit: one of the volumes was or is for sale for the modest sum of nearly five thousand dollars. I did not pay that, of course. This series cost RM120 at the time, which was a staggering sum. It was also not a cigarette book, but a grand version of same with tip in photos and a diary of the triumph of Nazi Germany.

I cannot generalize about modern prices, as I collected most of these from the '60s until the early '90s, when the prices began to go out of control. I have not measured the size of these, but each one easily weight three or four pounds in hand, if not more.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Deutchland Erwacht... what is this book?   Deutchland Erwacht... what is this book?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Deutchland Erwacht... what is this book?
    P
    Many

More interesting is this work, which also seems to have undergone a price speculation of all too familiar kind. If the on line book finding aids are to be believed, these are now unaffordable, granted their not being so terribly scarce.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Deutchland Erwacht... what is this book?   Deutchland Erwacht... what is this book?  

schnellmann
    ?

When I was in my 20's I went into a Library that had 2 Organisationsbuchs. NOBODY had checked them out - EVER, since a vet donated them. That was over 45 years ago... I wonder how many are languishing in other libraries around the country...

Who knows? I own several of them, one of which I found in Poland for a small sum, the 1943 version.

Does someone have the 1st printing of 1936 with the corrections addendum?

These used to cost around USD 100 or so.

Emphasis here on "used to..."

Colleague Peter has one for sale it seems. Ask and you shall receive.

Richard1
    ?

I have the first edition copy printed in 1933 showing on the paper binder of the book a parade of Nazi's marching. There is an interesting story behind my book. Back in the 60's my Mother was head librarian of our local library. I was 14 or 15 at the time. Someone came in and donated the book. He said he found it in 1945 in a bombed out German castle while fighting the Germans on the U. S. side. He decided to bring it home as a souvenior. My Mother was going to burn it because she lost many friends and a boy friend in the war. I talked her out of it and saved it. I have had it since but it's been buried away with other saved items from my childhood for years. I just pulled it out of the closet and decided to find out as much as I can on the internet. Also a German friend is translating it for me. She was 11 and in Germany at the end of the war. After she and her parents came to the U. S. I do not know a lot except there are not many copies that have survived to today. There were many printed but many copies were burned after the war.

Hello Richard1,

That's very neat that you were able to secure that book. Even more of a find WITH the dust jacket intact. If you have interest in knowing one source that sells the book with the dust jacket, see this link on the Internet: Deutschland Erwacht - Germany Awakened photo book

The seller is asking $250.00 and I think that's a good price. They write that their book is edition 1,376 of 15 hundred thousand. Do you know what is the edition of your copy? Also, there are two versions of this book that you should be aware. One set was printed with photos of Ernst Röhm and then after his assassination in 1934 another edition was printed without his photo. The photos were offered as paste-ins through the Salem company, I think it was the German, "Salem Gold Zigaretten". When you can, please post some photos of your book!

I have 4 different version of Deitschland Erwacht.

Attachment 380370

Richard1
    ?

Hi Will Junior,
    At this point I don 't want to sell it. I actually have someone visiting here from Germany that teaches at a University in Germany. She also took a look at it and said it's printed in old German. When I first showed it to an old German friend who was eleven when the war ended and in Germany she almost broke down in tears because it brought back so many sad memories. She has it now and is studying/translating it. I'm veery sure it's the one printed in 1933. As you know that was a hellish time for everyone. Again, thank you for the info.
    Rich

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2