Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Deutchland Erwacht... what is this book?

Article about: by Friedrich-Berthold There are surely more rare and equally interesting cigarette books of the early phases of the regime in their number. I collected these all when they were quite inexpen

Electerik
    ?

Default Deutchland Erwacht... what is this book?

Hi,

I've been scouting the web for information on this book.
    Maybe somebody here could help me identify it and it's content and give me some idea of what it is exactly.

So far I know it's about Adolf Hitler (duh) but what I really want to know is the history behind the book. Can anybody help me identify it?

The pictures inside are actual photographs glued onto the page.
    There is at least 100 or more pages and as many pictures.
    I don't have the book with me now so if anybody has any questions, please mention them and I will get back to you with the necessary info as soon as possible.

Thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Deutchland Erwacht... what is this book?   Deutchland Erwacht... what is this book?  

Deutchland Erwacht... what is this book?   Deutchland Erwacht... what is this book?  

Deutchland Erwacht... what is this book?   Deutchland Erwacht... what is this book?  

2. # ADS

Default Re: Deutchland Erwacht... what is this book?

Your book was a cigarette book of the beginning era of the Nazi regime, with photos of Heinrich Hoffmann (Hitler's photographer) of the period of political struggle prior to 30 January 1933 and the first years of the regime, i.e. through 1934/5.

The photos were sold in packages of cigarettes and the owner of said book glued them together. The volume went through several editions, with the earliest including images of the purged SA leadership. Later editions have also Hess expunged....

The volume is quite common, having been printed in hundreds and hundreds of thousands.

Said volumes tend to be greatly over priced in used book websites.

I own several copies that I acquired over the years.

I should think that the editions with Roehm are the most desirable.

The Nazis produced hundreds and even thousands of titles on their own history, also in illustrated form, some of them even before the seizure of power in 1933. The Nazi book sites in Dakota have a fairly representative selection of these if you interested.

I have collected these also from the middle 1960s.

schnellmann
    ?

I have a copy with a red cover - it is just like Electerik's, except for the color of the cover. Also, mine has the original dust cover, and the box it was sent in! The book is like new. Any ideas what something like that is worth? Thanks!

Electerik
    ?

Thanks for the info Friedrich.
    It got me started on properly searching the net.

@Shnellmann : Seems to be a fair amount of copies available on the web. I found copies ranging from 100 to 275 (in good condition) to 475 on ebay.

Electerik, I have two copies of this cigarette book and one is with Ernst Röhm (i.e. the more 'rare' version). Take heed, as was pointed out, these books are common. You should value your copy $100 and for it's top-end, those with a cover in terrific shape, perhaps $200. Remember, these books cost only $75.00 no more than three years ago and the internet has caused them to be over valued so prices went out of control, in my opinion.

?

I refused 200 dollars for my Adolf book with original paste board cover... the large photos were from the cigarette store when you traded some from your pack

Electerik
    ?

Ok, thanks Will.

Since my version is in "poor to good" condition (ie. some pages are loose, cover is worn, etc...no idea yet if it's the Rohm version ) I can roughly estimate maybe 75 to 100.
    Which is a shame really. Any freshly printed book that size is worth 100+ these days (depending on the subject matter). The fact that it's glued photographs also gives it a very special look. But since they're common, it does scale down it's "novelty".
    And I thought it was maybe a rare, highly sought after book. Oh well. At least it's really nice and rather eery to look through. Portraying a very scary period in history.

schnellmann
    ?

Quote by Electerik View Post
    Ok, thanks Will.

Since my version is in "poor to good" condition (ie. some pages are loose, cover is worn, etc...no idea yet if it's the Rohm version ) I can roughly estimate maybe 75 to 100.
    Which is a shame really. Any freshly printed book that size is worth 100+ these days (depending on the subject matter). The fact that it's glued photographs also gives it a very special look. But since they're common, it does scale down it's "novelty".
    And I thought it was maybe a rare, highly sought after book. Oh well. At least it's really nice and rather eery to look through. Portraying a very scary period in history.
    Don't concern yourself with what people say. I doubt if they are experts on books! I value mine (I have 5 of them) at least $200.00 each. Some moron on fleabay was asking $1,000,000 or best offer for one a few months ago! I doubt if he even got an offer. When I asked him why he put so much on it, he replied "I don't REALLY want to sell it" I guess not...

There are surely more rare and equally interesting cigarette books of the early phases of the regime in their number. I collected these all when they were quite inexpensive by today's standards.

The real kicker is the Braeckow, Grossdeutschland im Weltgeschehen which was published from '39-'42 in 4 vols, and is actually quite rare.

Quote by schnellmann View Post
    Don't concern yourself with what people say. I doubt if they are experts on books! I value mine (I have 5 of them) at least $200.00 each. Some moron on fleabay was asking $1,000,000 or best offer for one a few months ago! I doubt if he even got an offer. When I asked him why he put so much on it, he replied "I don't REALLY want to sell it" I guess not...

schnellmann, I am sorry you feel I've undervalued the cigarette book but I am just helping a fellow forum member establish a realistic value on a common item. Per your question as to my authority; I've collected paper propaganda and ephemera for 25 years, I track sales of books and their values on the internet and in auction catalogs, I own a small library (300 titles) of European military books from the 1930s-1960s, and for the past three years I've followed rising costs on typical NSDAP paper items seeing how blatantly overblown they've become (hence your 'fleabay' comment) so now they're beyond reach of a person wanting to get into the field of paper collecting. Simply put; this cigarette book is worth the value I suggested.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast